Terrible Refereeing - Officiating Performances

High tackles throughout the game
Illegal rucks
GK’s continually leaving their squares for puck outs
Red cards not given
Inconsistent use of Advantage rule
Unable to keep up with play

I could go on.

Illegal rucks? A referee not pulling up a goalkeeper on leaving the square for puckouts in games involving Clare is just common sense for his own safety and the safety of others as history has shown

6 Likes

Offaly vs Clare in 1998 Galway referee Jimmy Cooney

For the love of jaysus don’t go on.

Do you really want Gavin triumphantly brandishing red cards to men engaged in a manly tussle?

1 Like

Rules are rules.

Just because both teams play sweepers which encourage the bottle necks of players which results in so called manly tussles, it doesn’t make foul play alright.

I dreaded any match involving us that Seamus Roche reffed - I’m convinced he had it in for us. Rode us versus Cork in the Gaelic Grounds in 2004.

Thought Gavin was decent yesterday, missed a few things (like a red card for Tony Kelly) but overall he did OK.

There is a real dearth of good referees in the hurling championship panel.

1 Like

Said I’d watch it as I hadn’t seen it in years. Just through the first half now, some poor decisions on both sides but no obvious bias so far. Gave two soft ones to Tipp in a row which annoyed the Galway players and supporters but followed it up with two soft ones for Galway. There have been a few Tipp frees that haven’t been shown due to replays of other moments being shown so can’t comment on them. Both Leahy and Finnerty could possibly have been sent off at this stage. Good game to watch actually, very fast. Funny Ger Canning moment there just before Galway’s goal before half time “Galway playing it shite, err…short and tight”.

Didn’t think Tony Kelly deserved a red. Barry Kelly would have given him one though.

1 Like

Agreed. Forgot about that Roche performance. Gave a shocking free for overcarrying against TJ Ryan after being mauled when the game was still in the balance. That said, Ryan was steeped not to get the line early in that game after driving the butt of the hurl straight into Jonathan O’Callaghan’s puss.

In what was possibly TJ’s greatest ever act of cuteness, he pulled out one of his false teeth and showed to the ref as if O’Callaghan was after belting him in the gob. Roche wasn’t sure and let him off with a yellow!

There is certainly a dearth of quality hurling referees on the current panel. Kelly and Gavin are a distance ahead of the rest. Paud O’Dwyer has potential and is a very sound and calm chap on the field. I hope he gets a few decent games this year.

How Colm Lyons has been left on it is beyond me and, as for Johnny Ryan, well you know the rest!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2NR-CDSTKRo

Tipp penalty seemed softish although its hard to tell with the poor picture quality and lack of slow motion. Getting to retake it, probably technically correct but it does suggest bias, missed them both anyway. Sylvie Linnane sending off, can’t see it on camera but think English said he dived in his book so another bad decision. Next Tipp penalty was a definite penalty. The second sending off was a fucking terrible challenge no matter what the circumstances and a definite sending off. A load of other small mistakes as well from the ref for both sides, probably the worst refereeing display I’ve ever seen at that level. Galway put in a serious effort given the circumstances

1 Like

I think it might even have been the same day or if not the Sunday after the league champions came unstuck in the Battle of Aughrim - Ali Bennaceur, 22 June 1986, Azteca Stadium, Mexico City.

I think most of us on TFK are prepared to let that one slide in the interests of letting the game flow.

1 Like

:eek:

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1977/act/12/enacted/en/print.html

Any of the tussles between Galway and Tipp are usually entertaining, but the ones from the late 80s were especially good to watch. Two tough, fast and skillful teams. '87 Semi-Final was a classic.

And, if you wanted to see “manly” hurling, the '87 final was about as tough as it got.