Test Match Cricket

Watson cant be selected based on bowling, but it’s been used as a justification many times, even though a couple of years ago he could barely move and all hope of him bowling again seemed lost. Yes he’s a good bowler, but nit good enough on its own to justify selection and his batting certainly doesn’t.
Smith actually plays spin well and that dismissal was uncharacteristic from such an intelligent cricketer.
It’s a good point you make about Lyon, he has been impressive in the last year and surprisingly since Warne retired, a full time australian spinner who actually takes wickets. He should thrive in England. It is very surprising on the other hand that England don’t seem to have a spin option, especially as some, if not all, of the ashes tests will go to 5 days.
I wonder if Lyons’ improvement is anything to do with competition from Fawad Ahmed, since he received his citizenship?

Unbeaten 4th wicket stand of 134 from Shane Dorwich & Marlon Samuels moves the Windies to 171/3 & they now lead in the match by 1 run.

Windies 189/4 at tea - effectively 19/4 - Hazelwood breaking the 4th wicket partnership of 144 claiming Dorwich’s wicket.

Yet another entry in the catalogue of abject Windies batting collapses. 181/3 to 216 all out. Australia have 47 runs to knock off to win.

The West Indies (unlike Australia) have always been prepared to make the ballsy decision to field after winning the toss. There’s a fine line between ballsy and stupid though. In the last 6 months, when the Windies have put in the opposition to bat, its ended up South Africa 552/5 dec at Centurion and 417/8 dec at Port Elizabeth, England 399 in Antigua and now Australia 258/4 at stumps at Sabina Park on Day 1.

Matt Prior has succumbed to injury and retired from cricket.

Steve Smith must be one of the worlds best cricketers at this stage. He has grown so much in the last two years.

[QUOTE=“Manuel Zelaya, post: 1157447, member: 377”]The West Indies (unlike Australia) have always been prepared to make the ballsy decision to field after winning the toss. There’s a fine line between ballsy and stupid though. In the last 6 months, when the Windies have put in the opposition to bat, its ended up South Africa 552/5 dec at Centurion and 417/8 dec at Port Elizabeth, England 399 in Antigua and now Australia 258/4 at stumps at Sabina Park on Day 1.

Matt Prior has succumbed to injury and retired from cricket.[/QUOTE]
Ballsy or stupid? In this case neither. Scared shitless more like, the windies are low on confidence and didn’t want to be skittled again. Funnily enough, it nearly worked. Australia generally bat on winning a toss because they have confidence in themselves.
Again however, this confidence is misplaced. If Smith had failed, Australia would be in all sorts now. Decent innings by Clarke, even if he was lucky at the start not to be c&b, but Warner goes again and Marsh is consistent at least. Voges looks comfortable and should start in England. Crucial innings for Watson’s future.
But the bottom line is that Australia have to stop relying on Steve Smith.

Just brought up his highest test score there. 199. Trapped lbw by Jerome Taylor. Australia all out for 399.

Crushing 277 run win for Australia.

They arrive in England for the Ashes series on Wednesday. 8 of the starting places for the first test in Cardiff looked to be nailed down. Probably three decisions for the selectors to make:

• Shaun Marsh or Rogers to open the batting with Warner
  • Watson or Mitchell Marsh as the all rounder at 6.
  • Hazelwood or Ryan Harris.

[QUOTE=“Manuel Zelaya, post: 1159222, member: 377”]Crushing 277 run win for Australia.

They arrive in England for the Ashes series on Wednesday. 8 of the starting places for the first test in Cardiff looked to be nailed down. Probably three decisions for the selectors to make:

• Shaun Marsh or Rogers to open the batting with Warner

• Watson or Mitchell Marsh as the all rounder at 6.

• Hazelwood or Ryan Harris.[/QUOTE]

• Shaun Marsh or Rogers to open the batting with Warner - Marsh

• Watson or Mitchell Marsh as the all rounder at 6 - Watson

• Hazelwood or Ryan Harris - Tricky. Harris will feature at some point, but Starc and Hazelwood have been bowling so well, I can’t see either being dropped. They may include Johnson based on the psychological damage he did last time against England, but I think Johnson could well be dropped for Harris for the second test. Harris coming off a long lay off and while fresh, they may think he needs a few tour games and net sessions under his belt before risking him.

[QUOTE=“Fitzy, post: 1159224, member: 236”]- Shaun Marsh or Rogers to open the batting with Warner - Marsh

• Watson or Mitchell Marsh as the all rounder at 6 - Watson
  • Hazelwood or Ryan Harris - Tricky. Harris will feature at some point, but Starc and Hazelwood have been bowling so well, I can’t see either being dropped. They may include Johnson based on the psychological damage he did last time against England, but I think Johnson could well be dropped for Harris for the second test. Harris coming off a long lay off and while fresh, they may think he needs a few tour games and net sessions under his belt before risking him.[/QUOTE]

Johnson has never performed well in English conditions. He’s all about raw pace and doesn’t have the subtlety in his armoury that English conditions demand. I’d agree with your analysis. They will start Johnson first test, but Hazelwood and Harris (in particular) are more skilful and consistent bowlers.

Rain saves Bangladesh !
Makes for an ironic headline.

23 sleeps to go!

22 Fitzy, I won’t be able to sleep on last night! Got work booked off for first test, just cannot wait.

6 sleeps to go.
Ryan Harris is looking highly doubtful for Cardiff, which isn’t a great surprise, the question is whether he’ll be right for Lord’s.
Meanwhile, Shane Watson could be gone with Mitch Marsh looking increasingly likely to be picked in the all rounder who isn’t very good at bowling position.

Watson is underrated as a bowler, and if it is a batting friendly pitch, they will seriously miss his control if they omit him.

They have enough bowlers. I would pick him as an experienced batsman.

If it was a pure choice of batsmen, I’d pick Mitchell Marsh on form. I’ve never fully bought into Watson as a Test match batsman. They’ll only be playing three of the fast bowlers, doesn’t matter how good your strength in depth is, a decent fifth bowler that can bat in the top order is gold, especially if it is a decent batting track.

It’s a good argument about him as a bowler, he doesn’t take many wickets, but can take 1 or 2 important ones in a test and he is economical. So he gives the quicks a break. But from what I can see, the thinking is that the top order is so flaky and they’re already essentially carrying Haddin as a passenger, they need a better batting option in the all rounder position. Mitch Marsh might have done enough on the tour so far to justify selection in this case. There seems to be a pall of misery hanging over Watson at the moment and very little confidence in him.
Lyon is gaining momentum as well, so there seems to be more confidence in his ability to take wickets and bowl long spells for this series. That will count against Watson also. He could be a very important player for Australia here. But most of the damage will of course be done by Starc and Hazelwood with Johnson and Harris adding to it.

Ryan Harris has now retired through injury before the first test.