Test Match Cricket

A 207 run 7th wicket stand and contributions of 202 from Pujara and 117 from Saha has moved India to 565/8 in response to Australia’s 451. Both have departed in the last few hours, so probably not too much left in the innings.

Warner gone for 14 as India close out the day. Couple of overs left.

Jadeja gets another wicket, Lyon this time. Aussies 23-2 at stumps Day 4.

Stumps on Day 4 - Australia 451 & 23/2 India 603/9d

A rare overseas test win for Bangladesh. They’ve won the 2nd test in Sri Lanka.

Fantastic win for Bangladesh, in their 100th test.
Can’t see India not winning from here, they’ve batted very well.

For a short time there it looked like Smith and Renshaw were threatening to spoil the party, but that soon ended and at 64-4 and Shaun Marsh batting, this shouldn’t take much longer, though it’s 20 minutes to lunch.

A failure for first innings centurion Steven Smith in a high pressure second innings scenario. 90/4 at the moment.

Yeah Smith out cheaply for 21 when Australia needed him to occupy the crease. Shaun Marsh, Australia’s top run scorer in the 2nd test really needs to dig in for them now.

170/4 19 overs left. Looking like a draw.

Great batting performance from Handscomb and finally Marsh to secure a great draw which sets things up nicely now for what promises to be a sensational final test.
Handscomb and Renshaw have been the big finds of this Australian test summer. Both look like old heads on young shoulder, both bat intelligently and to the conditions. If Glen Maxwell can continue to bat in the way he did in the first innings, Australia will have a deeply strengthened team. Cummins coming back in gives more depth to the attack (assuming he stays fit). The omission of Khawaja is ridiculous though.
Steve Smith is turning into a fine captain, while continuing to bat at a test average of 61.

So his first innings 178 not out was under no pressure whatsoever?
Serving as @GeoffreyBoycott 's altar boy doesn’t befit you Bandage, it’s quite sad to see.

1 Like

No comment on Shaun Marsh heroic rearguard test saving stand with Peter Handscomb? That following on from Marsh top scoring for Australia in the 2nd test. You still advocating his dropping for the 4th and deciding test?

Yes I bloody am. It’s about time Shaun Marsh scored some runs, considering how many chances he gets, it’s the least he could have done. He’s 33, he’s a busted flush. You keep talking about his top score in the second test, while ignoring the multitude of failures he’s had, it’s a pretty weak point at this stage Geoffrey. Drop Marsh, bring back Khawaja to strengthen the top order, Maxwell has shown he offers more than Marsh further up the order. While I’m at it, I’d get rid of that moron Wade and bring Nevill back in as WK.
Handscomb is the future and I’m delighted for him and Renshaw who are real finds.

Australia are going into a deciding 4th test on the brink of winning only a 2nd series in India in nearly 50 years and you are advocating immediately
dropping an in form batsman who has grinded out the hard runs in the 2nd and 3rd test for Usman Khwaja - who was suspended in disgrace half way through Australia’s last tour of India in 2013 and who was dropped for the 3rd test in Sri Lanka after four failures with the bat in the first two tests on that tour. Not a very compelling body of work to suggest Khwaja is the man to get you the runs in the sub continent.

Another test saving and career defining innings for Shaun Marsh. I’ll admit I was completely wrong all along about him.

Only kidding, he’s out for four runs.

1 Like

Smith going well on 93 though

246/7

Some debut for Kuldeep Yadav

Aussies seemed to have real difficulties picking his wrong un. Decent wrist spinners tend to be more likely to make an immediate effect than other bowlers for this reason, but tend to reach a crunch point after a while whereby batsmen learn how to read them and they have to develop a bit more.

Tom Latham has just pulled off an absolutely sensational catch at short leg to remove Faf. One of the best I’ve ever seen.

1 Like