Test Match Cricket

If England are four down or worse at lunch tomorrow then I don’t think they can win it. A big knock from Root and they still can. 200 target for Australia is about par in my opinion

1 Like

How am I looking lads?

Better than this time yesterday. First session tonight is key

This is cracking test match cricket. Stoneman after his excellent first innings and Root are obviously the key wickets. Get the breakthrough early tomorrow and it’s game on.

Early breakthrough and it’s game over

England need a 250 lead as an absolute minimum. I think they need, 300+.
Your bet is looking an excellent one.
I’d be interested if you could sell it out.

1 Like

Even the first hour. If England see off the first 10-12 overs, it should be okay to bat on. It’s not unlike 2010/11 test in Brisbane in that the wicket does seem to be getting easier to bat on, once the new ball is seen off. England had a 220 or so first innings deficit there and comfortably saw out the five days for a draw.

Cook’s awful form and a possible injury to Anderson are worries with Woakes and Ball passengers so far and such limited spin options.

1 Like

Great start for the aussies today. No excuses now. Looking like a comfortable 8 wicket win from here.

1 Like

Hard to see a wy back for England here witj Root gone. Unless a decent partnership develops, Australia should not need more than 200 to win the test.

7th wicket falls as Woakes departs. 185/7. Lead of 159. England need to somehow get it up to 200 to be in with a shout.

All up to Bairstow now

And Bairstow departs on 42 in last over before tea. 194/8. Lead of 168. Not enough.

Great ball. That’s it so.

Broad out on review 195/9.

England all out for 195. Australia need 170 to win.

The tail hadn’t a hope

Ball and Anderson are hopeless with the bat. That’s what brought about the rash stroke from Bairstow as much as anything once the 8th wicket fell. Starc hadn’t bowled well in that 2nd innings but with his speed, he has that important knack of wrapping up a tail quickly.

Bairstow batting at 7 is madness.

Bairstow is England’s best batsman to bat with the tail. You should have a look at his match winning knock of 99 against South Africa at Old Trafford a few months back.

This 170 will be the joint fourth highest run chase at Woolloongabba. 236 is the highest. A fully firing artack would have every chance. Problem for England is they were effectively operating with just two bowlers in the first innings and one of those Jimmy Anderson is possibly now carrying an injury.