Test Match Cricket

Went for twenty in one over. The Indian lads played that like a T20 game.

It was just shocking. I watched it up to lunch when it was something like 83/1 and went to bed assuming it was a nailed on draw. Flicked it on at 6.45 just after I got up just in time for all the late drama. Sounds like Pujara played some innings, staying in for most of the day and got hit in the body and head 12 times. He’s an absolute beast, even if he’s not the most mobile or very good at getting out of the way of the bouncers. He was on 8 off 90 deliveries by lunch.

He was a rock. Them young lads, especially Indian ones, if you don’t get them out quickly they score quickly. I never actually expected a draw in that game. I thought Australia would bowl them out handily, but figured if they didn’t, the Indians wouldn’t hang about. The IPL scoring is off the hook, and they do it over and over again.
I watched it on fast forward this morning but missed the last hour as I had to go. Was hoping to avoid the result but it came up on my timeline.

What helped India this time was they had two sluggers in Pant and the debutant Sundar. Pant made a great effort of chasing down 407 in the third test in Sydney but once Pant departed, they had nobody else to keep up that kind of scoring and they fell about 60 short as it fizzled out to a draw.

1 Like

They didn’t fuck about worrying about the cracks in the pitch :slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face:
Warney was going mad about not using a silly point “to get in the batsman’s eyeline”

They gave man of the series to an Aussie of course.

Warne is one of the most astute observers of cricket out there. I really enjoy listening to him on commentary. When he was playing there was a perception that quite apart from his god given supernatural talent, he was a bit of a bum and wasn’t officer class, He’s the best captain Australia never had and they probably would have won the Ashes in 2005 if he had been captain instead of Ponting.

3 Likes

Agree 100%.
That 2005 ashes was decided mainly by McGrath tripping on a ball.

2 Likes

Seriously?

Seriously what mate?

They picked an Aussie for man of the series?

Yep. Unbelievable, but there you go. Cummins. He played well, but eh, they lost at home.

1 Like

Cummins is the best fast bowler in the world at the moment. No question about that and had an outstanding series. Rishabh Pant should have been Man of the Series though.

He should indeed.

That 2nd test in Eden Gardens, Calcutta in 2001 is arguably the greatest test match of all time. It did look for all the world like a draw at tea on the final day. Australia still had 7 wickets in hand, but collapsed in the last session losing last 7 wickets in about 20 overs for less than 50 runs. Place was jammed to the rafters with well over 100,000 in the ground. If you look at it on youtube, Ponting and Gilchrist both went for ducks in quick succession, that was when the win was suddenly very much on. The place just went absolutely nuts. Only 3rd time in test match history that a test was won by a side following on. It hasn’t happened since.

1 Like

Can you imagine if there’d been 100000 Indian fans at the gabba.

Embuldeniya :+1::+1::+1:

@Bandage
Your mate might be interested in the reference to journalism.

1 Like

Ireland throwing away a promising position against Afghanistan here in the ODI. Up against it now with Rashid Khan to bowl.