Test your fitness/ Lifespan

8 Likes

Annual medical results are in.

My fitness results were in the ā€œExcellentā€ category. For an 18 to 25 year old. Trust the process.

We go again today. You never own fitness. You have to pay a daily rent.

2 Likes

Would you be a big fun runner?

1 Like

I havenā€™t run more than 400m apart from during the Covid madness since I hung up my spikes.

Iā€™m all about strength training, functional conditioning and reformer Pilates and the data suggests itā€™s working thus far.

4 Likes

Iā€™d say the fun running is taking years off some lads lives. Chasing rainbows.

1 Like

Sure if you read the thread on here they are always carrying injuries or working back from one. Putting physioā€™s kids through college.

6 Likes

Muscle strains are a leading cause of mortality to be fair

1 Like

Lads swallowing ibuprofen like smarties just to tie their laces.

2 Likes

I was in the car with the father one day going to pick up a part for a combine. We go by a lad in his 40s out running the road in the middle of the day. Whats that eejit at he says. Ah thats Seanie, heā€™s Working From Home and doing a bit of running there. Jaysus I didnt recognise him says me aul fella, heā€™s lost a sight of weight, he wasnā€™t that size when he was trying to kick a bit. Aye he has says I. The aul lad drives on, says nothing for a bit. Then turns to me and says

ā€œFucking gobshite wouldnt do when he should have been doing itā€

14 Likes

That sweet sweet cardiovascular health though :man_shrugging:

I just did 44.5 pushups after reading that. Unrealā€¦ Iā€™ve been telling strangers on the internet for 10 years nowā€¦ Lifting = longer life.

3 Likes

Alarm blanked me this morning so missed the lads but i still did the weights and then a hiit session on the bag. Get out and fucking do it is the motto

1 Like

I need to add some lifting into my exercise routine alright. My life partner has some 4kg, 6kg & 8kg weights so Iā€™ll incorporate some squats, lunges, Belgium flapjacks & Kenyan coffee surges into my regime. Should be bulked up nicely by late May & ready to carry that strength into H2 road races.

Thereā€™s something very unsettling about auld lads lined up in a sweat box, necks & eyes bulging, trying to lift pieces of metal above their heads. Youā€™d thinkā€¦would they not just get out in the fresh air for a jog in the park? But I guess there are benefits to both approaches.

3 Likes

My like is specifically for the top half of your post.

The second half is nonsense. Running is killing lads

Did a 110kg deadlift with just my left hand there. Itā€™s possible I might never die

2 Likes

Running has great benefits for mental health and insomnia

Iā€™m sure lifting would make similar claims but it would do you no harm to give it a go

I walk a lot, rather than running. Find the running affects my recovery from heavy leg lifts.

Iā€™ll respectfully agree to differ with you there. Like I said, thereā€™s surely room for some strength AND cardio activities. Whatā€™s certainly more important than both is incorporating affirmation cards into oneā€™s daily routine. I just took possession of my 2024 delivery today.

1 Like

Yeah strength and cardio is key I suppose. A lot of the HEADBANGER PODCASTS I listen to swear by strength as a means to stave off looking like an old man.

Most of the cardio I do now is very heavily weighted. Iā€™ve a 70kg sandbag which I carry, do kettle bell swings, farmers carries and prowler pushes.

I guess those heavy leg lifts are very important to you?
Anyway, Iā€™m blessed with great health, besides a couple of bouts of Covid which didnā€™t bother me in the least I havenā€™t missed a day work for sickness in well over 10 years

Running helps me to stay sane and sleep well

1 Like