TFK Capitalist Thread

Coronavirus: Things are going to be tough for investors, so reassess your risk

James Coney

, Money editor

Saturday March 14 2020, 12.01am GMT, The Times

Some investors have lost a lot of money this week and that is hard to take. It seems very likely as well that you’re going to lose some more.

With every financial crisis there is a cost. There are sectors that will need government support, individual groups who will foot the bill more than others, and it is always, always the cash-strapped and indebted that suffer the most.

In this crisis, there will also be those who lose loved ones before their time. That makes this a stock market crash like no other.

Stock markets around the world have fallen — Wall St had its worst day since 1987

JEENAH MOON/GETTY IMAGES

All across the economy businesses and professional investors are reassessing risk, and that is what you need to do too.

Stock markets have been pricing in their judgment of the state of the global economy alongside the public health worries, and this has been reflected in its most brutal form in the fall in share prices. Trying to figure out what to do while they calculate losses has left some investors scrabbling to find blame. The problem is that there doesn’t seem to be any.

With the financial crisis you could pick your villain: there were bankers, an easy target; there were the feckless who lied about their incomes or borrowed beyond their means; and there were the policymakers and politicians who let cheap credit run unfettered. But this time there is no one to point the finger at, which makes dealing with the fallout harder to bear.

Banks have passed on this week’s Bank of England rate cut in full to borrowers in a rapid fashion, certainly quicker than I can ever remember, which suggests that they appreciate its political importance.

That some have cut savings rates too is really just understandable. That annuity rates have been slashed alongside the collapse in government gilt yields, is also just an economic certainty. Even the fact that insurers have stopped offering travel or wedding cover, or have stripped policies of cancellation cover altogether, is not something you can really be cross about. It is simply insurers acting as insurers do, weighing up the new liabilities and acting accordingly.

So how much exposure to all this can you stomach?

While those with no savings will need as much help as possible, it is the prudent, as so often, who may feel that they are taking the burden of the crisis through dwindling returns and interest on their money.

But there are an estimated 10 million British people who have no savings, a further 3 million who have less than £1,200, and around 9 million who regularly pay their bills from a credit card. Not being able to work for a couple of weeks may send their finances to the brink.

And what of the nation’s renters who may not be able to pay their bills. Don’t they need the equivalent of a mortgage holiday too?

This week on the markets was dreadful, and it could be prolonged. So you need to think about whether your finances will suffer not just a short-term shock, but also a longer term slowdown.

I can’t tell you how you should weigh up your own risks from this crisis: only you can do that. It will depend on how old you are, your outgoings, your appetite for exposure.

Selling now, however, really does just crystallise your losses, although I know that not bailing out is easier said than done.

Really if you’re a regular investor, try not to panic and keep going. If you’re looking for opportunities, it may well be that this black week will pose the best share-buying opportunity in a decade.

But make sure you’re doing so only once you have a full grasp of where the economy is headed. We’re not there yet.

Banking
i

Anyone who doubts this could get out of hand should look at what happened bonds last Thursday, that would be bonds as in the supposed safe haven when stocks collapse. One of the largest bond funds in the world is the Vanguard BND fund, average maturities 3-7 years. In a few days the price (actual price not NAV) dropped from 89 to 76, a drop of 15%.

The Fed just dropped interest rates to zero, stock futures have already hit limit down.

This is unprecedented, well at least since October 1929.

Australian market wiped out again last night. Be another day for the bears

Chhhhaaaaaaarrrrrrgge

Stable (door after the horse has bolted) genius

So, this isn’t investment advice but we should have a great buying opportunity in equities shortly, or relief for those who have been watching their investment accounts dwindle. There’s rumors from numerous countries of financial aid to help people get through this crisis, that would be an enormous boost to confidence. That and the worst news may already be baked in, this has been a brutal decline.

Buy low, sell high. Such insight, eh.

Surely this is the end for WeWork. SoftBank getting jitters about the rescue deal agreed last year.

WeWorkFromHome

7 Likes

SoftInTheHeadBank

1 Like

It’s definitely up there with anything from the dotcom crash. A complete fantasy of a company

2 Likes

It’s utterly bizarre. Up there with that cycling over Skype company being valued at a billion quid.

Pretty easy to see why it’s worth that.

What, the one where their only innovation is cycling lessons over the internet?
I have a lovely bridge for sale

1 Like

Hardware and recurring revenue. Is the fitness industry still an 80s fad?

It’s okay if you don’t like the product, plenty do and it will only get bigger as they role out further across the globe.

Be patient

The dow has dropped below 20000

Agreed, it’s no time for gambling. I do think we are near a bottom, even if it’s an intermediate one. We are effectively at the low of December 2018, down roughly 30% which is a brutal decline in three weeks, worst decline in terms of speed since the Oct 1987 crash. The market has basically priced in a severe recession, which may or may not be true depending on how things unfold. If treatment therapies are successful and a vaccine developed even if they are not on the market yet, we could recover very quickly like Q1 of 2019.

If I was a gambler and had spare cash I’d be ploughing in. I’m not a gambler though.

2 Likes

Ok mate. You pile on in :smiley::smiley::smiley: