TFK Capitalist Thread

FDA cash will keep Irelands pcp love affair going. The amounts of goons choosing audi A6’s ahead of theirs kids education funds is baffling…

But they are Aaa rated so it’s grand

I know a lad working in a second hand dealership here and they had a company doing finance for them. He said about 1 in 5 applications would come back rejected (which seems about right). Anyway a new finance company approached them, so they tried them out on a few the other place rejected and all went through. He said they haven’t rejected one application yet. :grinning:
The garage is delighted as they get paid regardless so they don’t give a fuck, but he said it’s madness.

2 Likes

Not sure if I mentioned it before but for anyone interested in stock-picking and value, this blog is definitely worth a read. Always well written and some interesting perspectives on identifying value in companies.

His Applegreen analysis is mind boggling. Subsequent follow up Twitter conversations are interesting if somewhat tedious.

1 Like

Agreed. Great article on Google a month or two back too.

Missed that. What was the advice?

Edit - saw that. March 16th he said the below with the share price around $868

…I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see a $1,000+ share price melt-up from here, in short order.

2.5 months later and price is $996. Not bad going

Not too sure about this paragraph… probably a while away yet but autonomous cars could completely skew the market

“As for electric cars – they’ll remain an affluent urban novelty (& investment bubble!) for years to come – for example, plug-in cars now comprise a mere fraction of one percent of all UK registered cars. And in due course, petrol retailers will be thrilled to offer charging to customers while they have lunch & coffee, or charge them extra for a super-charging alternative!”

Amazon have bought Whole Foods for 13.7 billion dollars.

We’re being taken over by the evil conglomerates.

2 Likes

Jeff ain’t gonna stop anytime soon

He’s not slacking

1 Like

Amazon have to improve their margins somehow. They are currently just above 1% so acquiring Whole Foods who are at 2% is an improvement I suppose. It will be interesting how they get on with it as Whole Foods have been struggling for a while now as all the big chains jumped on the organic craze.

Whole foods really running off 2% margin? Fuck me. What’s driving that the cost of the real estate? Been in 4 or 5 of them in states and they are expensive. Nice choice and all that but definitely overpriced.

Wouldn’t have thought both those brands sat well together? Both in the convenience space maybe but whole foods about quality of produce and spending far more than you intended when they work their in-store magic on you.

Whole foods is expensive from my memory of being in them. Block of Kerrygold in Cali was about 8 dollars which is cheap compared to this

https://www.amazon.com/Kerrygold-Pure-Irish-Butter-Salted/dp/B000CC1FM8

It’s $4 in my local Safeway.

Amazon the company that makes practically no money because it’s margins are so tight and kills all competitors because of it are now using their massively inflated share price to buy actually profitable businesses. I think they’ve reported a profit a handful of quarters recently but their earnings are tiny relative to valuations. It’s basically an investment in waiting until amazon becomes a monopoly and jacks the margins at which point it might be worth something near what its trading at. Unbelievable Jeff bezoz. Capitalism it’s a hell of a drug

1 Like

The user experience is 2nd to none IMO. Fuck all good to them if they can’t make it work financially long term though. My brother reckons he uses it for 80% of all his purchases in states. $75 annually for prime which gtees free 2 day delivery at worst and most items same day delivery. So say he needed a can opener which might cost 6 dollars. He just buys on Amazon and it’s at home before him. He makes hundreds of low value purchases like this a year. They cannot make money like that long term.

1 Like

Proof that capitalism works.

Amazon are making bigger margins in certain markets…i assume that 1% is on the food side of it?

For example… in homeware/sportwear they take all the best selling products and get it made in china themselves under their own brand and undercut the market with a budget version of the product.

Whats their own brand for things like that ?