TFK Capitalist Thread

They’re making big margins on their cloud based services now. AWS is a big winner for them.

Still though, this sums up their business

Amazon basics would be the biggest one but they have others, in many cases you wouldn’t even know you’re buying amazons own brand.

How much money are they making off cash though?

They plough everything back in. The worst thing is it’s probably a successful model to make absolutely no money. The growth is savage and competitors drop all the time. All they really have to do is move the margin on what they charge up a fraction and the earnings will be savage. It’s just so wrong that they can keep racking up loses and keep raising money while they put actually profitable companies out of business in the meantime

1 Like

Uber are similar in business model it seems to me.

Their retained earnings are 4.9b mate. You do understand they are operating on a completely different scale to every other company. A bps movement in their margin is huge. You’re talking like they’re some SME in Ireland. Wind it in.

5 Likes

Ooooffttt

1 Like

In both directions

2 Likes

What’s your point? They are buying profitable corps that keep the margin, revenue and equity moving one way. Look at their financials.

My point is you said they are a huge turnover business so even a small movement in the margin makes a big difference which is completely true. Bit it could be a negative margin move as well. But I doubt I needed to spell that out for you.

1 Like

That’s why they buy profitable corps.

Unrealised vs realised mtms.

That’s a new argument from what you made against Julio earlier though isn’t it

Jesus, I’m struggling with you here. He said…

I disagree.

I disagree.

I assume you can read FS. Go read them.

I said if they increased their margin they’d make loads of money. You said the same thing but said it like you’d pointed out some flaw in my argument :sweat_smile: You ape.

As for retained earnings Amazon has 4.9 billion. Whole foods has 2.3 billion and are worth 13.7billion. By a similar valuation metric Amazon would be worth around $30bn rather than over $450bn unless of course retained earnings is a nonsense thing to take any notice of, which of course it is

1 Like

Oooofffttt

http://www.independent.ie/business/technology/news/european-commission-fines-google-242bn-for-abusing-dominance-35870191.html

The EU love dishing out these fines to the tech companies.

They are going to run riot with GDPR.

1 Like

If it wasn’t for the EU we’d be fucked

EU - Hello Google, just a quick call here to let you know we’ve got to be seen to be doing due diligence here - How does 2.42bn sound?
Google - We’d rather not but we’ll make that back by tomorrow evening so fire away.
EU - Sound. Will we say maybe another billion or two late 2018?
Google - Make it early 2019, we’re on hols all of Nov/Dec in 2018.
EU - Right you are. Bye for now.
Google - Laters.

2 Likes

It’s not the fines mate, it’s the making them change their business practices. It’s a losing battle but better than no battle at all.