TFK Casualties of the Corona Virus

Retail was finished anyway, this just accelerates it. Cities need to get people living in them.

2 Likes

Only hope for cities is to return them to living spaces as much as possible. There is potential to create the environment in which smaller independents could thrive as big retail becomes more concentrated in shopping centers and retail parks. It is all dependent on getting people back into living in the core of the cities.

What about the Penney’s huns? They’ll keep the city going

Would Penneys have a big Ranger following?

Retail is finished but I wonder with death of offices if city living is also going to become far less popular even for young people.

You’d wonder what will take place of all those shops. Food outlets depend on footfall to shops and offices.

Looks like Una Mullally was correct all along about the vagaries of city development, living and planning.

1 Like

Lots of building going on in Dublin. Plenty going on down the Connolly Quarter/Dublin Landings/Castleforbes and East Wall developments North of the river.

I’d be worried about Dublin City Centre. Turning those historic buildings into residential is incredibly expensive.

Offices will come back. Tourism will come back. Retail is FUBAR.

I wonder, how long more can the airlines last? And if a chunk go bust are we back to flying for the elite only

The environmental impact of flying and the Covid reset means people will fly less and less and the cost will rise.

For all the criticism, Amazon are a part of building this at the moment in Dublin, a great development around Charlemount which was a kip for years.

Also included is lots of apartments including renewed social housing for the area, good portion of retail too.

The only screw up so far is that horrific block that used to house Harcourt Diner, Rays Pizza & Manhattan Cafe has not moved on because a few councillors were reminiscing about eating greasy food there after Coppers.

2 Likes

CriminalSneakyAnaconda-small

I’m back

Out of Templemore by now I suppose?

Does anyone know who this person is?

@codegreen?

It’s no secret, he retired that alias

Chuckle

That’s in the hands of a developer. Will be razed shortly. As will the 1980s red brick blocks housing EY and Harcourt Garda station. Will be a wonderful part of town in about 8 or 9 years when it’s all done.

I didn’t realise the EY block was going. That has Mazars and a good few other businesses in it.

Cops will have to stay in Harcourt a good bit longer. The new building on infirmary road was a storey too small for them