TFK Feminist Sisterhood Thread

As a WOKE feminist and in light of the houding Princess Megan gets from the gutter press I found these quite illuminating and they filled me full of hope

The racial dynamics between American women are flipped in a disorienting photo series

By Aamna MohdinJune 19, 2017

In three devastatingly simple photos, the yawning gap of inequality between white women and women of color is brought to forefront.

In a photo essay titled “Let’s Talk About Race,” photographer Chris Buck explores stereotypical representations of white and non-white girls and women—and flips it. The photo essay appeared in the May issue of Oprah Winfrey’s magazine, O.

In one photo, a group of Asian women are laughing in a nail salon, while white women give them pedicures. In another photo, a Latino woman is on the phone, ignoring the white maid pouring her a cup of tea. In the third, a white girl stares up at row upon row of black dolls in a toy shop.

Race package 1

CHRIS BUCK FOR O MAGAZINE

Race package 3

Race package 2

Buck told Quartz that the photo series was meant to spark a conversation about race and class among women. “It’s fine if it begins online, with social media, and comments sections, but more importantly, they should be carried out in the real world, between friends, co-workers and neighbors,” he said in an email. “All parties need to feel welcome at the table in this discussion, that’s how we move forward, and to me, at their best, that’s what these pictures begin to do.”

In the US, the wage gap between white and black Americans is worse today than it was in 1979, according to a recent report: The wage gap between white women and black women went from 6% in 1979 to 19% in 2015. The report suggests that white women have benefited more from the narrowing of the gender pay gap.

Representation in the media is another sore matter. Of the top 500 films of all-time, only six feature a protagonist who is a woman of color, according to the Representation Project.

Buck’s photos have resonated with many people online, but others reacted, predictably, by taking offense:

NKENDA@DoggyJaxx

That doll picture really hitted me, to be black/mixed and yet not accepted and asked “what ARE you?” To who I am? Deep issues of colorism.

7:05 PM - May 15, 2017

Twitter Ads info and privacy

See NKENDA’s other Tweets

https://twitter.com/jaeralde/status/864144782486110208

That’s fine, Buck says. “In a way the best pictures ask questions but don’t necessarily answer them,” he says. “At best these pictures do that.”

1 Like

Can’t wait for this one. I would urge all forumites to watch it with their partners. It promises to non cosmetically cut through the inner turmoil and division of what got us to where we are today. More timely than ever in an age become increasingly defined by the return of White male privilage. Features John Slattery too

This is an outrage. Women being objectified beacuse of their bodies. Shame on KFC

ICON

2 Likes

2 Likes

That girl made Mary Lou MASSIVE.

Jaysus she aged sumthin awful !

A lot of the Irish sisterhood relaying their experiences last couple of days. Great to see it

3 Likes

Wimmin put themselves under an awful pressure

:clap: :clap:

1 Like

Look at this, women applying more logic than men, whatever next?

Ah now @Lazarus - surely that’s a spoof account

Men up your game please

1 Like

Molly needs to put this into perspective

Im so sorry that has been happening to you pal.

I’ve a friend who was telling me that #metoo has hitting the Irish trad scene pretty hard the past few weeks. It’s mostly about teachers but some musicians too. There’s one teacher well known in the trad community in particular who is accused of hitting on his female students. When I say “well known”, my friend said this guy wasn’t so famous that she had heard his name before but he’s supposed to be someone you would have heard of if you were a serious trad musician. This is a different friend than the one who was telling me about Pieta House. I have more than one friend.

1 Like

Are all your friends weasel, snowflake, sad, little pathetic cunts like you, mate?

And we’re off

1 Like

The Trad crowd are full of fiddlers

3 Likes