TFK Hurling team of the last 20 years - Goalkeepers

Agree but could pick out a player usually but towards the end his close saves let him down

Eoin Murphy for me. He makes saves other goalkeepers just cant

Donal og let in a bad one v WD in 2002 . Had forgot it till I saw Ken’s Laochra

In fairness if you looked at all of the goals each of the keepers be it Davy, Fitzhenry, Cummins and Donal oh you will find a good few soft ones in there. Goes with the territory. What made them great were their saves in the big moments which they had far more of than soft ones they let in

Agree . Just that one had slipped me by . I think his puck out and his societal impact tend to amplify cusack’s rating .

I think he was a fine keeper but well below Murphy , Cummins and Fitzhenry , below Davy but better than the others on that list

1 Like

He got 2 vs limerick in the 2001.
One against Offaly in 1996

Anyone know the others just outta interest?

One to beat Tipp in 07 anyway

1 Like

Wheres Albert?

And the other against Dublin in the Lesinter semi final in 96. I think it was that game that Eamonn Morrisey scored a freak “penalty” goal too. he fluffed the lift for the penalty, but then cut it straight into the top corner off the ground. think it was that game anyway

2 Likes

That’s it
Wexford were really good in first half against the Dubs, then really poor in second half I think only scored 4 or 5 points

I don’t think Nickie is the best goalie of the last 20 years, but I would 100% have him ahead of Nash & Callinan. They may have All-Stars but there is no doubt in my mind that Quaid has been consistently better than them over the past 10 years.

Having said that, I’d have this as a contest between the first 4. I’ll go for Cummins.

1 Like

There is little or nothing between Nash, Callinan. O’Keefe and Quaid. First two got the nod on longevity plus Nash got two all stars and Callinan an All star and A/I.

1 Like

How do you factor in that he pretty much changed how the game of hurling is played?

Did he ?? Kk dominated the game for the decade after he won his last AI playing a game different to him .

I’m going for Cummins, mainly due to his gallant but futile effort at saving my rocket in 1990 South Tipp MHCA Final.

10 Likes

It’s a tough poll. Cummins and Fitzhenry were both top drawer shot stoppers while Cusack being a level down in that regard changed how the position was played with his puckouts. The fact that by 09 they were extremely recognisable as most other players at that time wore helmets added to their profile. They would all be up there in an all time list.

Eoin Murphy is the closest of the modern keepers and has the free taking aspect to his game also.

Even though I could never even warm to him in any way for reasons outside his GK position, it is Cummins for me for two reasons. Firstly was his bravery. The amount of times he stood up tall to upcoming attackers and blocked the ball with his body was astounding. Compare it to others like that fraud Nash turning his arse to it or a few keepers up in Dublin trying to decapitate incoming forwards.

Secondly I can only remember two real mistakes of goals he ever conceded in championship. One of those was his first game. His level of assureedness under a high ball dropping short was superb also. A real presence there.

10 Likes

Il give it to Donal for the medal haul, a minir medal, 2 x 21 an intermediate and three SHC medals.

A fine keeper. Not much between the top 4 as you said

A great keeper but loses a few marks for being in such a dominant side

If you are going to vote on medal hauls, it is going to be a team of KK men.

I don’t think Murphy is in a dominant side. You must be confusing him with McGarry.