TFK Hurling team of the last 20 years - Goalkeepers

This is Fitzhenry comfortably.

Cummins was as good a shot stopper but, more often than not, he sent the ball back into the path of someone else to score on the rebound.

Fitzhenry sent the ball dead. How the fuck he managed I could never understand. It probably came from the youngest sibling of 10bot so and being made stand in goal and take as much punishment as the rest of them could dole out.

1 Like

An awful slight on James McGarry, the most decorated goalkeeper of the last 20 years not making the shortlist.

More often than not? I doubt it.

Also his ability to knock over frees from his own half back line sets him apart

Lighter sliotar helps with those long range frees. Wouldnā€™t be using that as a criteria. For what itā€™s worth I narrowed it down to Fitzhenry and Murphy, found it very hard to separate the two of them but went for Fitzhenry in the end.

You donā€™t see too many other keepers doing it these days

Fitzhenry for me too, just ahead of Cummins

1 Like

Cummins in the 2010 All Ireland.

if Cummins wore every jersey he is alleged to have worn under the Tipp jersey, he would have looked like forty coats in the nets

1 Like

It was just the Man Utd jersey no?

The man u jersey was the only one I ever heard of him wearing anyway.

Enda Rowland knacky at it.

Ballybacon, Man United and Man United training jersey but I believe he lost the United training jersey towards the end of his career.

think there were others mentioned but I ll stand corrected if necessary

Iā€™ve narrowed it down to the two Wexford lads, but Iā€™ll go for Fitzhenry just ahead of Fitzgerald. I donā€™t think Eoin Murphy is as good as the top three lads from the 1990s/2000s generation (Fitzhenry, Fitzgerald, Cummins).

1 Like

Penalizing the others because their team had better long range free takers is a new angle

Should we exclude Fitzhenryā€™s and Fitzgeraldā€™s penalty taking abilities on this basis

I agree, Enda Rowland should be on the shortlist.

1 Like

Yes

Letā€™s not consider the positives attributes of these players so. Youā€™d have to wonder would Cork have been better off getting Ben Oā€™Connor or Joe Deane to puck the ball out so