TFK Volcano testing

As far as I know it’s on White Island which is 50 odd km off the east coast of the North Island, about half way up it

Easy spot the fellas who did the Loins tour a few years back alright.

They won’t divulge anything about the “cornage” and rugby related sexual frolics, however

The craic went out of it when BOD was folded in half

CC @StoneCold This is the view from the top of Ngauruhoe (Mt Doom) in the centre of the North Island. You can see why Jackson picked it for his movie, there isn’t a patch of vegetation for miles, which is in stark contrast to the lush greens of the rest of the island. The Tongariro Crossing, probably the most famous day hike in the country, passes just below, it’d be jammed many days during the summer. There are early warning systems for all this shit of course, but sometimes volcanoes gotta blow.

Incidentally, volcanoes tend to be boring-ass mountains to climb, all gravel and unrelenting up. Give me the Galtees any day.

7 Likes

You fucking peasant - you’ve never been to NZ?

The white man took New Zealand

The maori stole it from us Celts first.

The furthest @myboyblue went was the Rock of Dunamase

2 Likes

Are you not Lakota mate?

Half Lakota half Celt.

I’m from Fingal mate

1 Like

Anyone ever been to the top of Mt Vesuvius? I agree with previous poster. It’s all gravel and unrelenting, but some serious views from the top.
Also, in Catania, not sure if anyone’s been. I’m convinced that’s why they are nuts there. Living at the foot of an active volcano.

The drive up to it is filthy; the Camorra just use the slopes to dump rubbish everywhere

Now that we’re broadening the boast, I can confirm that the Massaya Volcano in Nicaragua is a similar gravely climb.

1 Like

The top of croker is gravelly. I’ve never seen anything from up there mind bar clouds

All those houses/towns at the foot of it are apparently illegally built. Naples being Naples, when you get half way up, there’s some chancer trying to rent you a big stick to help you up the rest of the way. The lava flows looked pretty cool though, and even more so in Etna. I didn’t get to the top of Etna, just the foothills.

Did you buy a Dairy Milk and a can of Coke off the fella at the top?

There was no fella at the top any day I went up.
Here’s a true yarn. I’d already got engaged, but figured I’d give her the ring up on top of croker for a bit of luck. I’d never gone near it before, but remembered the religion book at school had lads on it going up in their bare feet, so I wanted to see was I hard enough. Why I wanted to see that, to this day I don’t know. Anyhow I got to the top. We were soaked and frozen, and you couldn’t see twenty feet, and the wind howling. I said I wanted to show her something, to which I got well hurry the fuck up, it’s fucking freezing.
Anyhow, by the time we got back down I was leaving blood footprints everywhere. My ma was delighted as she thought I was being religious. My bro said, “you fucking idiot, didn’t you see in the photos that the lads tie their shoes round their neck for coming back down in”
And I couldn’t walk anywhere for a week.
It has been a lucky marriage though for me at least, so thanks to Saint Patrick.

PS the next time we went up the weather was worse and we had the snappers who were 7and 4 at the time. On the steep bit at the top, a woman told me we should be reported for bringing them up here in this weather.

10 Likes

“I want to show you something”.

2 Likes