TFKHDTJPPT 2020 - Preliminary Heat 2 - Helmet Pullers v Glas's XV

I think Glas’s midfield just about wins this for him

Glas’s team is full of swashbucklers, lads like carey, mcgrath, lynch and am skehill who love soloing up the field unnecessarily. A highlight reel team, but a solid team? Im not sure. Mark O Leary scored two goals to win an all ireland final. Dotsy didn’t do similar. Joe Cooney is a debatable one, if whole careers were considered, hed be a 12 and this would be a canter, but our own biases are always gonna be a factor. Im happy that that full back line gives up next to nothing.

The manager needs to be taken into account. I think neither man has the flexibility here to make a tactical switch and will both stubbornly stick to the gameplan, no matter what is unfolding before them, ignoring selectors and cries from the crowd to make a change.

I would see Glas’s midfield as a negative, you have two lads who outstanding hurlers but they are both want to play the same role in the side, two lads who constantly want to drive forward never really works, you need a ballast in there. I’d also have McGrath as a half back or half forward before I’d put him midfield.

Thats what i pointed out. Whos gonna mark cha? Whos gonna just sit there?

Bloody hell :joy:
I’ll give you a vote just for writing this out.

1 Like

Ive jonny coen that can sweep back if necessary, alan kerins is interchangable with cha and more, Prendergast can go in an ruffle a few feathers on the edge as can Cloonan. Daith can play 6 as good as 3 if necessary. You have to back your self at the end of the day.

:smiley:

No midfield selected in the compete beats Lynch and Ken McGrath you loon.

1 Like

Absolutely correct, a mistake on my behalf. They comfortably win the MF battle.

I know you’ve made up the rules and all, but you get that it’s a fantasy competition right?

Yeah, until Skehill fell on his hole to let in a soft goal at the death.

1 Like

It is much tighter than I initially thought. Power on Curran decides it for me. Power will do serious damage there.

Glas’s defence is a worry - His two corners are so so and have as many bad days as good. His half back line might be decent stoppers but I dont see a lot of quality ball coming from there — Carey obviously has it in him, but himself and Daly played in an era of whack it and his forwards wont thrive on that ball.

I’d have to say too I demur with a lot of your relative ratings, I think you selected Byrnes who I wouldn’t have picked myself. Shaughs never relied on his team being dominant out the field.

While it would make more sense to have McGrath half forward or half back, and I could have swapped him with Carey, there is a method there. Basically I have worked to the the two most inspirational magicians of hurlers in living memory into the same side. Carey as a spiritual hero leads and captains the team from centre back. Daly beside him another inspirational leader. With the game in the melting pot or a few points down towards the end there is no way Carey and McGrath don’t step up and make the inspirational big plays. Followed by the likes of Hickey, Daly, Lynch, Harnedy, Shaughs - tactics my arse there is no way that momentum is being broken.

Picking the max allowed 5 Limerick players, 1 third of the team for the best hurlers of the last 25 years? Fuck that. There needs to be some objectivity to picking sides.

and then the other one has 5 Galway lads on it. Fuck sake.

Youre just seething theres no wexford lads on either team. No participation medals here im afraid.

Agreed ---- I can understand lads putting in players they’ve seen a lot of in the flesh but Glas is too young to remember the best of Carey’S days - Daly too for that matter.

I’ve picked leaders of men.

In a completely unforeseen reply, @maroonandwhite brings up the county of the poster responding to him. I’m shocked that he needs to discuss anything to do with Wexford in the comment I made. I dont think I’ve ever seen him make similar comments before.