TFKHDTJPPT 2020 - Sweet 16 - Big_Mick_McCarthy V batigol

And what is @Batigols it is Dan McCormack/Lehane v Rushe and Kerins in essence here. Kerins was a more consistent hurler than Lehane and a very similar style. Rushe and McCormack are both ball winners/water carriers and it is much of a muchness between them both have different strengths and weaknesses but both effective hurlers

I may have to put @anon78624367 minding the corner flags for a spell here. He is doing more harm than good

Tell him someone forgot the water, send him off to the shop for a few three litre bottles

good.

1 Like

because of the 30 points for the forwards and Richie Power being a 6, some lads are taking a chance with getting a 10 or 12 in the inside line and the half forward line is getting sacrificed. Seamus Pender/ Timmy McCarthy seem to be almost universal choices

I think @Batigol has a better balanced team but I think @Big_Dan_Campbell will win because he got DJ in there

Half forward lines are the weakest line on an awful lots of sides for those reasons alright. Also, are there a greater proportion of half forwards in the 8-12 point bracket and out of reach because of the restrictions?

yes, and Richie Power being a 6 means he’s almost universal. You build your forward line around him. If you go for a big gun in the half forward line you’re left with Luke O’Farrell inside.

I have pinned @anon78624367 unprovoked attack on Tony griffin to the dressing room door at half time.

It’s got a similar reaction to the time a Waterford player asked Anthony Daly was he still beating the wife in 98. We are going to go out and absolutely hammer into @batigol in the second half now we might lose the match but we won’t lose the fight. The likes of Fenlon, Hannon, Browne and Dunne won’t have the stomach for it. Lyng and Rushe are like demons

1 Like

another unprovoked attack on a Limerick man…

That’s Realer, Ciaran and Deccie now that have come under attack from the KLARE man…

any Limerick man who votes for this team needs to have their priviliges to the Gaelic Grounds removed

The limerick lads very scared that I might knock out two of their teams back to back. Just like Shane Dowling they can’t do it from open play against a Clare team

1 Like

You might as well throw your hat into the anti-Limerick vote now, full throttle.

:smiley:

Picking Diarmaid Byrnes as a token Limerick might back fire.

I think there are generally less “marquee” half-forward players in general. Obviously you have the likes of Shefflin, Canning & Reid but generally teams tend to fill this line with fellas who will work hard, win ball high and low and disrupt the opposition half-back line. In fact, it’s absolutely essential.

Look at the last 5 All-Ireland winning half-forward lines:

McCormack/Bubbles/O’Meara
Hegarty/Hayes/Morrissey
J. Cooney/Canning/Glynn
McCormack/Bonner/N. McGrath
Fennelly/Hogan/Reid

The Kilkenny one is probably the standout alright. Now, a good few of these players weren’t available but the likes of Prendergast, Timmy Mac, Niall Mac, Kerins will do those jobs for a low cost, which allows maybe one marquee half-forward. Some people have picked DJ outside, but most have put him or Kelly or Brennan close to goal as their big pick.

1 Like

I got little or no limerick vote last time I don’t expect it this time either.

We might have to switch to a committee for the next round. One member per county

Asterisk

Having said that, if Eoin Larkin was an 8, he’d have been in my team.

It’s because of the points into 30 - the split is 4/6 - if you have an 8 you need a 2 and a 4 to balance the half forward line, if the points went 3/5/7 etc it would have allowed for more balance.

Like if you go for an 10 or 12 inside you can’t have a 6 in the half forwards and even the 6’s aren’t great choices and aren’t worth the extra 2 points

The relative strength of the half forward line seems to be the kicker. There’s much of a muchness between every other line

I would have said that more than any other line, the half-forward lines are all basically the same. And that games are being won where there is a bit more diversity- primarily half-back and full-forward; there are just more realistic options in these positions.

There was also the option of picking Ken as a back and playing him centre-forward.

a lot of teams have built around Seamus Pender.

You could put Hannon, Peter Barry, Rushe or Brick into the forwards. Thought one or two might have pushed Brick up.

I purposely made the 4s and the 2s especially in the forwards to be of less quality for the most part compared to the backs in order to make it a bit tougher. Many sides have won A/Is carrying a couple of forwards but very few have done it carrying a couple of poor defenders

Yeah, I have no complaints with the layout. It did make it interesting; I suppose the lack of variety comes from people seeing a handful of players as the real value options.