The 6 Nations 2024

We’d have won that world cup.

Telling ya boss

Went to rugby league after the 1991 Five Nations, before the World Cup. That’s why Ralph Keyes was playing in the World Cup.

Smith had a lovely long pass but couldn’t tackle his granny if I remember rightly.

I was pointing out that the Irish rubby team were importing foreign mercenaries even before that RWC.
He was dreadful for Ireland. Hoofball merchant. We had better at home.

Don’t know about that

I reckon we would.

Before my time but I’d doubt it. Ireland were only good for the occasional upset back then. Albeit I think we did subsequently beat England in 1993 and 94’ and they were Australias opponents in the final?

The Aussies were red hot favourites in the SF and final, and we had them beaten. Horrific.

Sure we left them back in very easily after taking the lead

He was decent enough in the 1991 Five Nations if I remember rightly. Ireland played a good brand of attacking rugby under Ciaran Fitzgerald even though they only got one point in a draw in Cardiff. They got 10 tries in four games which was a lot in those days.

Keyes didn’t last long after the World Cup, Ireland lost to Wales and their campaign nosedived after that. I think Keyes scored a try in Twickenham but Ireland were destroyed. Derek McAleese came in at out half for the final game in Paris and the inevitable whitewash.

Can’t remember who played at out half until Eric Elwood came in midway through the 1993 season.

I was at the England match in 1987. A 17-0 victory. Marcus Rose was full back for England.

I was there too.
I still think the highlight of Irish international sport was Ginger McLaughlin in Twickenham.

It was for the best Ireland lost that. New Zealand would have beaten them by 30 points in the semi-final but that was a bad New Zealand team, and England would have done them in the final.

His decision to tour apartheid south africa with Ireland in 1981 not so much.

1 Like

Before Elwood I want to say Peter “insert missing surname”

I’d say you’re thinking of Peter Russell. Ulster out half who I think played in numerous inter-provincial championship winning teams, I think he played at Twickenham in 1990, not sure if he got any other caps.

@ChairmanDan would probably know more.

I had a google there and Niall Malone was starting at out half before Eric Elwood came in.

1 Like

Peter Russell was out half in the two tests on the New Zealand tour in Dunedin and Wellington in 1992.

Alan McGowan was that era… As was Malone from L Irish

Around that time maybe george hook I think or someone used to be pushing for the entire Blackrock college AIL backline to be selected en masses for Ireland… Rolland McGowan ridge Niall Woods…

1 Like

McGowan played against USA in November 1994. I don’t recall him being involved much other than that. Paul Burke was coming on the scene then too.

I recall Rolland playing for Leinster circa 1991, possibly on the same team as David Beggy. Was he capped for Ireland?

Niall Woods got a short run playing for Ireland around 1996 (he scored at least one try against Wales, possibly two) and then got another short run while playing for London Irish around 1999.

1 Like

I think he scored a try when we beat Wales in Wembley in 99

1 Like