The A league thread

His salary is being paid by the sponsors, so itā€™s not eating a hole in our already stretched finances, though itā€™s going to be hard to tap the sponsors up for more. Itā€™s a few hundred grand. The $300k we got from Manchester City for Caceres certainly hasnā€™t covered it. Senior figures at the Central Coast Football Association I spoke to over the weekend were a bit aggrieved that the Mariners tried to tap them for some of it. They were very pissed off that the Mariners would consider asking for valuable money ($50k!)used for grassroots football for a dodgy marquee signing and I donā€™t blame them.
Listen, us fans of the club have been very fucking loyal, we continued to turn up even last year when we played the worst football I have ever seen. We continued to pay for our memberships (we have more members than Perth, Brisbane and Wellington). All the while, Charlesworth has continued to disrespect and insult us. It used to be a club gounded in the community, constantly involved in everything going on the community, taking support but giving back as well. Now itā€™s just take, take, take. They have zero involvement in the community, you never see a player at a function / training session / kids thing unless they and the club have been paid specifically for it. All we ever hear is that the supporters arenā€™t there. itā€™s not a viable club. If thatā€™s the case, why were +10000 people turning up for game even before Graham Arnold was appointed? Why did we always have decent attendances before Charlesworth bought the club? Itā€™s a fucking football club for fucks sake, did it come as some sort of surprise to him that money would need to be pumped into it? That some sort of effort would be necessary to keep the crowd above the die hard, masochistic fuckers like me who keep turning up? Itā€™s about time the club stopped treating us like the problem and realised weā€™re the only reason it still exists.

Jesus Christ, did you breathe while hammering away at the keyboard there? Paragraphs in future, please.

Charlesworth should relocate the franchise to North Sydney and target the Northern beaches market. Heā€™s flogging a dead duck up there. Youā€™re all quacks.

Thinly veiled something or other.

Relocating to North Sydney would be a disaster, wouldnā€™t work. The game they played at North Sydney Oval last year (a cricket gound, pitch is terrible for football. Try parking in North Sydney on a Friday night there.) was a joke, no A League team will play on that pitch again. The vast majority of people at it were there with free tickets, I was offered tickets from three different sources. Brookvale Oval is barely suitable for rugby league and has no public transport access.
Most people on the north shore would support Sydney FC, or else have no interest in football.
If itā€™s such a good idea, why hasnā€™t anyone done it? Why is all the focus of the FFA on establishing an A League club in Sutherland Shire / Wollongong? Because thatā€™s where there is a population begging for a HAL team, with the biggest junior association in the country. Northern Suburbs Football Association is tiny compared to some of the associations in Sydney / NSW / Australia. Other than Manly and Northern Tigers, thereā€™s no NPL team there. Manly are so powerful, they are actively resisting any potential move by the Mariners to the North Shore.
If itā€™s a dead duck on the coast, how have we managed to get to three finals, winning one and two premierships as well? How did we manage to be profitable for a number of years? The problem here is that Charlesworth is a moron with no interest in running a football club properly.
Iā€™m glad you can sense my frustration.

If I agree with all that, I can avoid actioning those question marks, right?

Iā€™d say Iā€™d agree with most of that alright Fitzy. He does seem like a bit of an eejit. I particularly enjoyed this gem.

Charlesworth told SBS his team is purely in the entertainment business and said his team needs to compete with the release of a James Bond film and only entertaining football rather than results will achieve that. ā€œI think I am probably the only one out there who is willing to say it publicly, but the reality is that we are in the entertainment industry and for me that overrides results at this stage,ā€

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/sydney-fc/sydney-fc-striker-matt-simon-hits-back-at-central-coast-mariners-owner-mike-charlesworth-20151030-gkmpo1.html#ixzz3xZL9AbUU
Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

The worst thing is Tony Walmsley seems to encourage it. When something goes wrong on the pitch, like when Victory levelled with us after we were 3-0 up, he just turns around to us with a big gormless smile ā€œOh wellā€. Fuck off Tony. We used to be able to play football and defend leads. Itā€™s not very fucking entertaining winning two matches in a season, while weā€™re constantly being insulted.
Rants over.

Of course you did. But how many of the 2013 team are still at the club? Very few if any, Iā€™d imagine.

Iā€™d say most of them left because they were sick of going on the piss in Terrigal every jaysus weekend, and pined for the big lights. Not much the chairman can do about that? At the end of the day, youā€™re a regional club who was punching above itā€™s weight in ā€˜11/12/13.

We were in the A League Grand Finals in 2006 & 2008 and won the Premiership in 2008.

Did you not win the Grand Final in '13?

Yes we did, we beat WSW 2-0 in the final. But Iā€™m pointing out that we have not just punched above our weight in the years you have limited us to.

I was just trying to focus on the '11-'13 vintage.

Now, can you address my queries on said team.

Of the team that played on that glorious day, indeed, out of that squad, Josh Rose and our current captain, former Sheffield United stalwart Nick Montgomery remain. I actually posted about this I think earlier in this thread, the team was decimated the following year and something like 5 or 6 of the squad were there that following season.
But does that mean you run the white flag up and give up? Teams regenerate and itā€™s the responsibility of the club to develop / sign new players. Did Brian Cody go into a dark, deep depression when he had to accept that Charlie Carterā€™s playing days were over? No, he went out and found some handy enough players. Iā€™m not sure what your point is.

Iā€™m going to pretend you didnā€™t attempt to draw parallels between Kilkenny hurling and Central Coast football, and move on.

Itā€™s a tough gig trying to sell the Mariners as a club of choice. Any player worth his salt will have his eye on living in the city. Whether that be Roar/Cittay/Victory/Wanderers or the famous Sydney FC. Hell, even Perth. The type of player in the A-League puts lifestyle over any potential footballing career.

A chairman can only do so much in attracting new players, but location, location, location. Central Coast is fine for a fortysomething failed hardware store salesman, but the majority of players will turn their nose up at the thought.

Iā€™m shocked Garcia has agreed to the move but obviously heā€™s in his late thirties where the peaceful lifestyle will suit Luis and family. For that, you should be thankful and not use the signing to somehow have a go at the chairman.

Many players at the club have lived in Sydney during their time there and commuted / helicoptered up to training. I would imagine that living on the central coast with itā€™s glorious beaches and cosmopolitan, sophisticated lifestyle would be a hell of a lot nicer than a wet Tuesday night in February in Leicester or some such.
That by the way is a bloody awful argument. How do you explain Newcastle if thatā€™s the case? Have you been to Newcastle? Emile Heskey, 62 time capped for England, played for Newcastle for two seasons. I rest my case.

Haha, fuck off. Name the players who helicoptered to training.

Weā€™ve all seen your garden.

Again Heskey was 35/36 with a partner and 2 young kids. This is the type of profile, that would give the regional clubs a go.

Another pasting @Fitzy

Has Garcia got a kick?

Nope

It was pathetic, I am seething at how bad we are. Walmsley has to go, fucking jokeshop.

Signing in live from the Sydney derby.

Fuck off Wanderers, this city is ours.