The advanced gardening thread

Misread that. Thought he said plots

It’s a dwarf damson.

This thread is beautiful… a real sense of serenity … a great thread to pop into after the American prez one or the Nogra v Sid battle

4 Likes

i love the gardening in spring/summer/autumn. i don’t grow herbs (a pity) or fruit/veg just flowers, i really should start.

Bar a few bedding plants I don’t grow anything I can’t use in the kitchen

2 Likes

Rhubarb is an unreal plant. It’s back up out of the ground already.

3 Likes

I’m the same. I see very little point in growing something I can’t eat.

4 Likes

I’m going to rip up the roses on the sunny side of the back (the Hydrangeas will stay in the more shady flower bed). I’m going to do it

It’s like a chill out lounge. @Fagan_ODowd has a real grá for nature, and it’s nice to see it rubbing off onto other posters.

4 Likes

Lads, if theres one thing you do for your garden, its compost.
I have three compost bins, one shop bought for kitchen scraps, two I made from pallets for general garden waste. I started taking out the summer vegetables today to prepare for the winter planting. 6 wheelbarrow loads of rich, black garden gold came out of one of them, onto two of the beds. It’d free, it takes minimal effort and produces brilliant results. I can’t wait to plant the garlic I received in the post this week into it.

3 Likes

You must have some infestation of rats. Or do the dingos keep them at bay ?

Planted a hazelnut tree, a raspberry bush and a gooseberry bush today.

3 Likes

Good thinking mate.
Will make the disturbed ground far less noticeable.

6 Likes

Couldn’t find the beginners gardening thread, so this will have to do.
I sprayed the garden with weedkiller a few months back and all it seems to have done is performed a survival of the fittest role and killed the weak weeds and allowed this bindweed shit (not sure if that’s what it is, it’s something similar anyway) to takeover. The growth in it is unrale. What do you do with this shit? I’m aware it goes way underground so you’re pretty much wasting your time pulling it?
Any ideas lads? Please note I’m very lazy and want to avoid anything which could be classed as physical labour. There’s a few plants out there, but nothing I’m not willing to sacrifice for the greater good if there is a chemical solution to the problem.

cc @Fagan_ODowd @TreatyStones @Fitzy @anon7035031

What sort of weed killer did you use?

I’d say you’d want to be going for something like roundup to kill that stuff.

While you’re at it lads, should I be letting the strawberry plants grow like mad or do I clip them for better harvest? @mac @Appendage @briantinnion @Bandage @Gman @alltheaboveladstoo

It was this thing which came in a spray can already.

Post up a picture of the weed.
Roundup kills everything but repeat spraying is sometimes necessary.

Weed needs to be in active growth. Morning time is best and avoid spraying in rain and direct sunlight.

Boys

We need to talk about moss (no wisecracks ). The best way to deal with the fucking thing .

Lime