The advanced gardening thread

Get yourself some proper stuff. Roundup Biactive XLA is the only Roundup product I’d recommend. What you used there is for townies. Expect to pay between 12 and 15 euros per litre for the XLA.

Also, FYI, there’s a good product for broad leafed weeds called dicophar. That boy doesn’t mess about.

There’s no substitute though for digging them out though.

1 Like

Sulphate of iron. And a scarifier. And a plug aerator. And more sulphate of iron.

I’ll try the chemical approach again first so.

Townie.

1 Like

Sounds like you have Japanese Knotweed.
It’s been known to creep in the windows and kill a man in his own bed.

7 Likes

More of a lazy bastard of a culchie.

:open_mouth: I thought i heard it whispering the other day when I passed. I’ll put the missus nearest the window tonight to be safe

3 Likes

Goats are the new wonder cure for knotweed.

I’d say it’s Japanese knotweed. The foundations of your gaff are probably under attack as we speak. Google it

Rip the shit of it with a hollow core machine for starters. But if it’s wet it will keep coming back

Snap :joy::joy:

Use the round up you have. Just lather it on to each and every leaf of the bindweed and it will go

Mix it with washing up liquid so it will stick.

Boiling water

signing in. I love my gardening so I do.

Weedkiller? Seriously?

It’s 2017 now lads, it’s not the mid 70’s any more. We don’t out toxic chemicals all over our gardens anymore for a variety of reasons:

1. It’s fucking stupid
  2. You have kids, animals, wives using the garden, might as well feed them some weedkiller before they walk out the back door
  3. Weedkillers don’t work. They’ll kill a weed alright, but it will be back in no time. You don’t think the weedkiller manufacturers actually want you to kill all the weeds forever do you?
  4. Any garden I’ve ever been to where weedkiller is used is generally full of weeds. The owner uses weedkiller and assumes that’s it, won’t have to do anything more.
  5. Would you eat food grown in a garden where weedkiller is used?
  6. Complete waste of time and money
  7. It’s fucking stupid (I could go on, you get the picture)

@Julio_Geordio, get up off your arse and spend a couple of hours once a month getting rid of the weeds. Buy a Dutch Hoe, they’re great for getting rid of them and won’t kill your back.

A lot of weeds have a tap root that goes well down into the soil. No weedkiller will kill this off (it will however fuck up your soil on the way). Boiling water works well, but there is no substitute for actually getting down on your knees and digging out the fuckers. Don’t mow your grass to low, or that encourages them in the lawn.

I can’t believe people still use weedkillers.

With the strawberries, wait until they stop producing, then give them a serious hard prune. Take any runners you chop off and pot them up for new plants.

Weedkiller, for fucks sake.

2 Likes

A prize to whoever comes up with the best quip about a Dutch Hoe.

Are you saying that hoes could change a man’s life in ways he never imagined or thought possible?

1 Like

Shove your prize up your ho(l)e, you cunt.

1 Like

Weedkiller does work - unfortunately, so no point saying otherwise.

Yes, get out in the garden with a hoe by all means but there are lots of difficult weeds to control by manual work so the best option in a lot of cases is weedkiller.

Remember your local corporation/council probably use it in parks and public paths and roadways.
So be careful out there.