The advanced gardening thread

No. Its only a small lawn and pretty much all the same drainage wise. Never gets too wet although we stay off it in winter. Where the stripe is could be the dryest part of the lawn alright as its across the centre.

As regards an old foundation for a wall there was no sign of one when the soil was dug out and new soil put in before the grass was laid.

Thanks for the replies btw

1 Like

At a glance I would say there is a land drain running along that path

If you had a graipe you could test out the depth of any offending material within reason. Anything deeper than the reach of a graipe wouldn’t have much effect on grass quality like that.

A possible suspect might be something leaching from a pipe, like a washing machine sewer line or similar, something like that would really limit the grass quality… but that doesn’t make sense given it would need a fall and would likely be deeper than the effect shown.

I noticed an electrical connection on the right hand side in the first image… is there possibly a cable running across that line? A mother in law is a great pair of hands on the graipe in this scenario. Preferably during heavy rain.

Jab out and peel back a square of it down to a depth of a foot and see what’s there.

4 Likes

Thanks for the reply. I’ll give the gripe a go.

We got the electrics put in when we got the garden done and the cable runs around by the perimeter.

As i said that stripe was there too before we got the soil and lawn redone too. Its a strange one.

1 Like

Is there much activity in the way of fairies or little people in the area?

1 Like

Fairy rings are circular Fagan.
They don’t do their business in straight lines.

Nonsense. I’d say it’s a fairy path.
I’d a hazel or an ash rod, stick one at each end. Wait a few days. If the rods are still standing you’re fine, if they aren’t then, God help you

Hazel all day long. You’d really want to know your onions going with ash.

@blackjack does the stripe turn 90 degrees back towards you before it runs out towards the electrical connection?

2 Likes

If an insecticide has a dilution rate of 100ml/ha.
How do I convert that to ml/litre for a hand sprayer?

The internet hasn’t been my friend here.
I have searched but not getting a clear answer…

Whats the volume of the hand sprayer?

5 Litres, but that doesn’t matter.

That is a coverage rate surely, would expect a ratio for dilution in a large sprayer.

Go on….

Can’t be any more specific than that on the limited info provided

I think I need to do a test area spray and work it backwards as described here.

So hopefully I’ll get it close to right, and kill the insects and not myself.

@Little_Lord_Fauntleroy

Ecoside

1 Like

Is it knapsack safe? What’s the brand name

There are some handy alternatives to the ecocidal route:

Gardening with a Clear Conscience | BBC Gardeners World Magazine

2 Likes