The Anti-Rugby Football Thread

2017 post of the year wrapped up already

1 Like

I wouldnā€™t go to a LOI match if I wasnā€™t guaranteed a pre-game ruck

3 Likes

You wouldnā€™t have a clue whats happening when youā€™re at a rugby game, you can see nothing.

It is a fact, whatever way you try and spin it, that the atmosphere around the rugby union and league games around Manchester, and the general tone and behaviour is far better than the manu and city games.
I find epl soccer boring by and large. It is a fact that I find it boring. I find rugby union a bit boring, and havenā€™t been to sale since the u20 wc final to support Ireland, but not as boring as epl. I donā€™t find rugby league boring at all, but I try and go to derbies if possible as they are always more likely to be close.
I could watch any hurling match at all. Iā€™d rather watch a junior c hurling match than an epl game any day of the week.
I enjoy LOI soccer live, but not on telly.
Iā€™m not looking down my nose at any sport. I hate holier than though shite. Iā€™ve played a bit of soccer, a lot of rugby. I just find the epl overhyped, overexpensive for what it is, and find the atmosphere thuggish by and large.

Sounds like a great dad. His kids seem to have the discipline to pursue what they want in life.

The shite on here when someoneā€™s kid is doing the Leaving Cert and we hear lads on here telling the father to tell the kid that ā€œit doesnā€™t matter how you get on, the Leaving Cert is irrelevantā€ is nauseating. Going for walks with them in the woods to ā€œclear the headā€ instead of studying their Poetry Now. No wonder so many young people are so useless these days. The ā€œyou can be anything you want toā€ but donā€™t need to put the graft in culture is far too prevalent. I understand RTƉā€™s documentary on it last night fed right into that bollix.

1 Like

Look back over some of my posts and youā€™ll see Iā€™ve previously nominated Nigel for COTY for your very reasons below, only to be reminded that I could only nominate Irish people :grin:

1 Like

I donā€™t know mate. I went to Anfield before Christmas for the West Ham game. I was surprised how low key the policing was. Got the bus into town after with a crowd of West Ham fans and the train back down to London that night. Not a peep out of them. Maybe it is different in Manchester where all the people are a shower of cunts.

3 Likes

Straight to the point. On the other hand, there is no bigger wanker than a cockney wanker.

Is that why you havenā€™t been to a game in 5 or 6 years?

You go the Emirates and the atmosphere is completely sanitised now. Youā€™d never see any trouble. I would have thought Old Trafford ainā€™t far off given Keaneā€™s and Fergusonā€™s comments even 10 years ago now.

I probably would have reservations bringing kids into an away section in a EPL game alright. The goading of the home fans, the wanking gesture, etc can be a bit pathetic.

At the same time, I was based for work in west London last year for a while and I took in 2 games at Brentford. I stood in the home terrace behind the goals with children, pensioners, proper London geezers and it was a great atmosphere. Plenty of singing, bits of bad language here and there but overall an atmosphere of a crowd that feel passionate about their local team and that would be extremely addictive no matter what age you are. It was the type of atmosphere that reminded me why I enjoy live sport (in comparison to very tame atmosphereā€™s in rugby or some EPL stadiums when big teams are playing weaker teams).

I think it was Frank Skinnerā€™s autobiography that described his childhood really well of going into the terrace at WBA and why he loved it. Perhaps a kid hearing some bad language isnā€™t the worth thing ever. Better than completely protecting them from all the realities in life and producing this non street wise person and somebody who has been completely sheltered.

Hooliganism is a different matter. Saying that I remember going to to Rathbane to see Limerick play Sligo years ago and there being a rough Sligo crowd down. I didnā€™t want to become a hooligan after it, and after it was emphasised by my Dad, I just thought they were idiots (albeit I didnā€™t witness any bad violence).

Heā€™s French he doesnā€™t see himself as aby different they are never coming home. Heā€™s been earmarked by toulouse for years

thatā€™s a grand post
albeit, the worst of all vulgarities i have heard were in LOI first div grounds. the worst ever was in Bray with the cork fans and the raping seagulls chantā€¦ maybe its beacause there is no one there, ah you see awful stuff, finn harps beat us in the cup 4-0 years ago, i was on the bench, walking off the pitch the linos wait for the ref, 3 or 4 of our lads just walk up and call the linesman a wanker, cunt walking off, they just stand there and have to take this, then you have lads leaning over the wall calling them worse
honestly, football attracts the dregs of society, people who follow the EPL do so from the comfort of their TV screens , if they ever actually went id say their perspective would changeā€¦ simialr for the lads who follow the scottich soccer,ive no problem with lads following celtic but id say the calibre of individual at an old firm game is from the pits of humanity

was talking to a fella one time whose son hung around with tony stokes in blackrock college
anyway yer man and the priest from the college were over in twickenhame a few years ago at a game, the priest saw sunderland were playing that weekend in Ninian Park and said he;d like to go along and see Tony and Roy Keane, the 2 lads anyway show up at the ticket office and had to convince security to allow them buy tickets, they were warned not to open their mouth in the ground ā€¦ the left at HT saying it was horrendousā€¦ just anger , nastiness and venom,

honestly, the GAA is the best here, just for joining and an all out relaxed friendly experince, family race days are brilliant also at places like Naas, actually ive been told that SRFC are also great places for family entertainment and as the ;ads are older ill have them there
not sure if ill have them playing soccer tho, there is no enjoyment, im coaching here u-14s , all our best players want to play DDSL with kevins, joeys and stellaā€¦
its a horrible system, parents in soccer are awful, its the worst i have ever seen, people driving kids from galway to play with kevins 4 nights a week, they have 6 u-14 teams, unless u are in the first u are treated like shit, its horrible, there is no enjoyment in soccer in this countryā€¦ its a rotten gameā€¦ the sooner they bring in parish rule for underage soccer itll be for the best , itll make it a game worth playing again

9 Likes

Itā€™s not the language, itā€™s the venom with which itā€™s delivered that I wouldnā€™t want to expose the kids to.

2 Likes

Undoubtedly a better TV sport for the professional games.

1 Like

But thatā€™s the FAIā€™s fault as well. If you arenā€™t playing underage in Dublin or Cork they donā€™t want to know. The amount of young lads plenty good enough who never got a sniff because they werenā€™t from the right areas is unreal.

1 Like

Cracking post.

All my best memories of sport up along would have been from soccer. Itā€™s was so enjoyable from 12 - 18. The fact we had a great team probably helped too. Going off playing junior soccer at 16 was class as well. Every Sunday morning, piling into cars with lads twice my age off up to somewhere like Broadford or feenagh. Into the local pub then afterwards where there would be some class of food laid on. Broadford always had a stew and sandwiches, Ballingarry used to be great into Barrets for buttered slices of bread and baskets of sausages and puddings. 2 or 3 pints with the opposition and everyone drive back home. Great times. The drink driving killed junior soccer.

10 Likes

The Ireland u-15 squad for reference

REPUBLIC OF IRELAND U15 SQUAD:
Conor Carty (St Francis FC)
Aaron Davies (Ratoath Harps)
Alex Dunne (Belvedere FC)
Ayodeji Sotona (Manchester United)
Jack Funge (St Kevin?s Boys FC)
James Furlong (St Josephā€™s Boys FC)
Armstrong Okoflex (Arsenal)
Harry Halwax (Leixlip United FC)
Brandon Holt (Belvedere FC)
Cian Kelly (St Josephā€™s Boys FC)
Sean Kennedy (Tralee Dynamos FC)
Seamus Keogh (Benbulben FC)
Kian Leavy (St. Francis FC)
Matthew Healy (College Corinthians)
Sean McEvoy (St Kevin?s Boys FC)
Troy Parrott (Belvedere FC)
Timi Sobowale (Villa FC)
Cormac Moore (St Francis FC)

18 players
10 Dubs
2 UK
1 Kerry
1 Sligo
1 Cork
1 Meath
1 Kildare
1 Waterford

u-16 squad
REPUBLIC OF IRELAND:

Kian Clarke (St Kevinā€™s Boys)
Harry Clarke (Cherry Orchard)
Max Murphy (St Josephā€™s Boys)
Kevin Oā€™Reilly (Cherry Orchard)
Nathan Collins (Cherry Orchard)
Kameron Ledwidge (St Kevinā€™s Boys)
Jason Knight (Cabinteely)
Marc Walsh (Finn Harps)
Barry Coffey (Nenagh AFC)
Adam Idah (College Corinthians)
Sean Brennan (Belvedere)
Callum Thompson (St Josephā€™s Boys)
Connor Oā€™Reilly (Bonagee United)
Oisin McEntee (Malahide United)
Mark McGuinness (Arsenal)
Adam Oā€™Reilly (Ringmahon Rangers)
Tyreik Wright (Lakewood AFC)
Ryan Cassidy (St Kevinā€™s Boys)
Ray Oā€™Sullivan (St Kevinā€™s Boys)
Luca Connell (Bolton Wanderers)
Ciaran Brennan (East End United)
Sean Mahon (Cherry Orchard)

22 players
13 Dubs
3 Cork
1 Tipp
2 Donegal
2 UK
1 KK

REPUBLIC OF IRELAND U17 SQUAD:

Brian Maher (St Patrickā€™s Athletic)
Tom Murphy (Everton)
Cian Lee (St Patrickā€™s Athletic)
Luke Nolan (St Patrickā€™s Athletic)
Lee Oā€™Connor (Manchester Untied)
Dominic Peppard (Bohemians)
Kameron Ledwidge (St Kevinā€™s Boys)
Aaron Bolger (Shamrock Rovers)
Conor Coventry (West Ham United)
Sean Brennan (Belvedere)
Jordan Doherty (Sheffield Utd)
Rowan Roache (Blackpool)
Adam Idah (Corinthians Boys)
Gavin Kilkenny (Bournemouth)
Glen McAuley (Liverpool)
Aaron Connolly (Brighton & Hove Albion)
Brandon Kavanagh (Bohemians)
Callum Thompson (St Josephā€™s Boys)

10 Dublin
8 UK

@Julio_Geordio loves nothing more than a bit of pointless research to kill time on a Friday.

2 Likes

Iā€™d have to work otherwise.

1 Like

The darts leagues were another casualty of drink driving laws .

1 Like