The Anti-Rugby Football Thread

No doubt but this report is being referred to in media over here and parallels drawn to rugby.

In many ways the truth and the risk profile is less relevant than the perceived risk amongst middle class mothers.

1 Like

Numbers playing mini rugby have grown by 7% per Sport Ireland since 2014, so your anecdotal evidence doesn’t appear to be a widespread concern.

Football still more popular than rugby ,GGA Ball & GGA stick combined

makes Kevs arguments fairly redundant

2 Likes

I see a number of Heineken cup clashes over the weekend attracted crowds of only 7k, 4k, 6k etc. etc. …There used to be more at AIL games back in the day.

The QF in Limerick will be sold out though, the brave and the “faithful” are back on board.

My auld lad was telling me that Leinster’s match in France was played behind closed doors. Is that true?

I’m not sure mate - chap on the radio could not comprehend how attendances are so low outside Ireland… The French clubs laugh at this thing … The O’Irish rugby bandwagons are gas… they couldn’t get anyone to Thomond Park last year.

2 Likes

Will you and @TreatyStones be sleeping out to get tickets?

Munster could soon taking over Celtic park . It will never has seen such passion as the Red Army will bring .

Michael Corcoran said there was a crowd of 12,023 at the deciding match involving Connacht and Toulouse in Toulouse. He said it a number of times. Toulouse are giants of the French club game apparently.

1 Like

Oirish teams taking a hiding: the competition is worthless.

Oirish teams back winning regularly: the competition is prestigious.

4 Likes

You’d get that many at a Munster training session …

It sounds like it’s another niche sport we’ve latched onto, like womens boxing.

3 Likes

No mate, I have never paid for a rugby ticket in my life.

That’s interesting. Where is the data from? Is it robust?

Interesting figures. Why is soccer in terminal decline mate?

tennis and paddle ball

GGA & Hurling are down more from 13-15 in terms of %

why is that bro?

The sports council

Was it broken down by age/sex etc.
I wonder what the methodology was.
It suggests that, by and large, team sports are in decline.