The Anti-Rugby Football Thread

You wouldn’t have lashed out at me like that, mate.

1 Like

You’re right.

1 Like

The GGA fails to regularly get the top sporting fixture in Ireland. In the 5 years I mentioned, the GGA got the top figure just once (2013) whilst rugby was top in 2014 & 2015 and association football in 2012 and 2016.

The AFL, NRL & NFL have no problem in their home countries with dealing with the “neutral” viewers problem to come top regularly, but the GGA does apparently.

The BBC problem is actually very real by the way guys, for example in 2012 the BBC’s coverage of the Olympic Games got into the top 20 sports programmes in Ireland despite RTÉ showing the same. The GGA in Ireland rarely have to deal with this issue, I guess BBC NI might show the AI Final if an Ulster team are in it but it isn’t like the Irish sporting public’s relationship with Match of the Day, BBC Six Nations Games or whatever. The second slot for the GGA is nestled away on pay tv in Sky Sports, meaning Irish viewers are forced to consume RTÉ. I like many others in Ireland will change up where I watch my rugby football and association football between RTÉ, the BBC and ITV.

I hope everybody in the country was watching when they capitulated against Argentina in the “world” cup in 2015.

1 Like

They did something similar in previous ‘world’ cups, no?

In all the World Cups they’ve qualified for, yes.

I suppose they should be given credit for getting out of tough qualifying groups and getting to the tournament

2 Likes

Ireland will win the Rugby World Cup in 2019.

:joy:

At what grade, mate?

All that proves is that there are too many self loathing, cap doffing, subservient west brit cunts in Ireland.

Adult male.

1 Like

:joy:

I like your style… start building them up already… I wouldn’t be opposed to them winning this 4 nations thing to add to the hype.

2 Likes

After we suffered disappointment in 2015 with our injury ravaged squad coming unstuck, it was fantastic to see the audiences coming back in 2016 to watch Irish rugby football once more. 3 of the top 20 tv programmes were still rugby football fixtures. Additionally all but one Irish rugby football home fixtures sold out (51k x 5) in 2016, with a very credible 43,000 still turning up for that one.

Disappointing that following ROI’s famous victory over Italy’s second team at Euro 2016 that crowds of only 40k and 27k have bothered to turn up to the ROI’s home games.

1 Like

Oh we are going to win that too.

1 Like

Given the relative closeness in viewership figures its highly likely that same people who are watching the dull, cross dressing, homosexuals are also the same ones watching Mrs Browns Boys?

1 Like

I think if you analyse those figures though you will find that a lot of the disillusioned rugby fans have taken to watching Mrs Brown’s Boys and it will be a difficult enough job to win them back.

We?

Us. The Irish.

Go shit in your hat.

I think you’ll find that MBs has been on a slow trajectory downwards since the highs on 2012.

If anything this closely follows the fall in the GGA in Ireland. A slide in attendances over 10 years. Irish people now have more entertainment options than ever with the growth of broadband. Rugby football though is taking over the hearts and minds of Irish people and is holding its own.

1 Like