The Anti-Rugby Football Thread

In fairness rugby in Ireland is a model of sound business practice. Since the game went professional it’s difficult to think of one misstep the the administrators have taken. I suppose it help to have so many individuals involved from the higher professions and captains of industry as opposed to the schoolteachers who do their best to run the GAA and the small town chancers who run the FAI.

Objection. Hearsay and whataboutery

@Tim_Riggins can you update your figures accordingly. My cousin also watches on the beeb with his two young sons so maybe +3. His wife wouldn’t watch all the game so I won’t include her

+1. I was shocked recently when watching the dramatic, late but ultimately fruitless St Thomas’s comeback in the All Ireland club hurling semi-final against Ballyea to notice that forum “hurling men” like @iron_mike and @Fagan_ODowd were posting updates on (and presumably watching) England-France in rugby football instead.

It really emphasised the inroads that rugby football has made in Ireland. What hope do the GAA have of becoming the favourite entertainment option for the casual viewer when men like that eschew an All Ireland semi-final to watch an annual round robin fixture between neutral countries? If they’ve lost the core market then it’s very worrying times for the association.

Preaching to the converted pal. It’s been clear for some time that fellas are fighting a losing battle, with themselves a lot of the time, when it comes to rugby. Sure staunch gaels like @TreatyStones and @Julio_Geordio are regulars at munster games. A little birdie told me @Big_Dan_Campbell took a day off to direct traffic at Axel Foley funeral in killalloe. Then you have @Fagan_ODowd taking on the role as women’s rugby correspondent, a nice little niche for himself.

With the odd shrewd observation from yourself thrown in for good measure I can hardly get a word in edgeways

2 Likes

Limerick city is soccer country now, keep up mate.

I presume that we are all in agreement that Kearney’s display, particularly defensively, was the final nail in his coffin at this level? It’s Time TOH was given a shot at fullback.

Nah, Zeebs is the man.

Yes I think Zeebs has the X factor you need at this level.

What sort of viewing numbers does Des Cahill dancing get?

1 Like

any TFK based businessmen attend this event?

http://m.independent.ie/sport/rugby/watch-nigel-owens-seeking-to-contact-the-leinster-ball-boy-he-yellowcarded-to-give-him-a-special-gift-35503216.html

3 Likes

Who the fuck would want a referee’s jersey?

The country is fucked.

4 Likes

The rugby lads always show great respect to the officials.

2 Likes

i think to really get the point of this article one needs to be exposed to the ballsjoe website headline style of " rugby ref gives ballboy yellow card and we’re so fucking stoked" or something like that

2 Likes

https://www.google.ie/amp/www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-4037086/amp/Sickening-moment-rugby-player-Bruno-Doglioli-attacks-FEMALE-REFEREE.html

Mostly anyway

1 Like

I posted after the French game that the consensus outside Ireland was that Owens rode our Gallic visitors red raw. Of course, this presumably wasn’t mentioned on Irish TV coverage. The chap seems to have a corporate speaking engagement in Ireland every other week and surely conflict of interest lights should be flashing for rugby football administrators at this stage. Coupled with his seemingly very needy personality and desire to be liked which manifests itself in “wacky” onfield comments and staged behaviour to endear himself to hooray henrys in Ireland he really should be banned from refereeing games involved Ireland or Irish based provinces.

21 Likes

You’ll always have isolated incidents sir

1 Like

ah jesus :grinning:

that’s some post

2 Likes