The Anti-Rugby Football Thread

@Tim_Riggins

The capacity for any ground that hosts a Champions League final nowadays is reduced for press and VIP purposes.

For example, the capacity of the Principality Stadium in Cardiff has been reduced to 66,000 for this year’s final.

That easily debunks your claim that last year’s final wasn’t sold out.

That would require some amount of research pal but an easy one for now is the fact that the Rugby World Cup got more than the last European Championships.

You’ll quote where I said it wasn’t a sell out.

I merely asked some questions.

You claimed the capacity for the 2001 and 2016 finals was the same, yet referenced that 8k less people attended the 2016 final.

That’s an obvious claim that the 2016 final wasn’t a sell out.

No I just pointed to UEFA facts.

And asked why.

That and loads of other European Cup finals mate.

You did exactly what I said you did, pal.

1 Like

Yes that’s what I said and those are facts based on what UEFA disclosed and the official capacity. Or do you refute them?

So I asked some questions.

I didn’t say it didn’t sell out.

It’s interesting that in the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s lots of European Cup finals couldn’t sell out but when they went all corporate in the 1990s and started “restricting” capacities for giving away freebies for “VIPs” they have all these sell outs.

And rugby football can’t get close to selling out to either corporates or “supporters” when a British team is playing a final held in Britain. :laughing:

But you said you didn’t. Now you’re saying you are.

This is Trump-esque.

You were on about flogging tickets.

@Tim_Riggins

Did people buy tickets and not bother their holes going to the match?
What’s the point of this? Are lads ‘proving’ that football is more popular than rugby?

I think if you read back over the posts the rubby boys brought attendances at 1960s and 1970s football finals into the discussion about the big rubby final attendance.

No.

We were talking about how they were trying to flog off tickets for the biggest game in European club rugby days before the final took place. @Tim_Riggins can’t handle the truth so is instead trying to pedal misinformation on football.

That’s rather the point I’m making.

It’s funny seeing you all in here now ducking for cover behind the “corporates” from MasterCard, Sony et al sipping away on champagne attending the final on a freebie.

Yet you give it big uns about Irish rugby football and corporates.

You’re all working class heros indeed.

I don’t care who goes to games but this is a big issue for all you boys continually on here, yet here you all are cheerleading that UEFA fill their grounds with Corporates.

Another funny contradiction for the fans of British soccer on here is going on about rugby and franchises. This at the same time as every British soccer team tries to prostitute itself annually to the US and Asian markets (not the African one of course even though they’re big British football fans, they’re too poor). The EPL is one big long drawn out corporate event these days.

Rugby can’t sell out the biggest game of European club rugby, corporates or no corporates.

1 Like

I asked a question mate based on the difference between 2001 and 2016.

You’ve helpfully pointed out to me that the difference is VIPs being now in the difference between the 80k capacity and the tickets sold.

Though I wonder, your link above claims that the net tickets available were 71,500. UEFA announced 71,842 at the game, a whole 342 more. Did they actually include the corporates who went to the game so and we still had empty seats?

You can understand the confusion here.

I’ve helpfully pointed out that both finals sold out.

You’ve failed to address the fact that both games were sell outs and UEFA never had to flog tickets days before a major club final.

Just to clear up my own confusion, were a lot of tickets sold or given away but never used at the gate?