The Anti-Rugby Football Thread

The population of Asia is 4.4bn. Under 6% of that population was represented in the last FIFA WC. Just 4 countries, one of whom isn’t even in Asia, but is there to bolster the quality of competition.

Go figure.

Europe had over 50% of FIFA WC places until 20 years ago. That’s a tournament going for 60 years longer than the RWC. They still have over 40% of places, despite having just 10% of the world’a population.

Rugby is not as big a sport clearly, small in comparison, but we still have a global sporting event. Attended by more than the last European Championships and an average attendance close to the FIFA WC.

Meanwhile, the GGA will be happy if they manage to sell out the stickball final for once.

1 Like

Sweep sweep.

look at Ireland

they are saying there are 140000 playing rugby

There are 224 clubs in oireland

That would mean each club would have approx. 32 teams

They include tag rugby :rofl:

Womens sports are very popular abroad lads, Eight out of 10 people in the Netherlands watched the2017 Womens European Football Final last week. The official figures say around 4.1 million people in the country watched the final, peaking at 5.5 million.

1 Like

Yes? We had people in here crowing that the second most important stickball event in the world got 60 odd thousand.

The Vegas leg of the Sevens is probably not in the top 25 most important rugby events annually and still beat it.

Tag rugby is a route to playing in a global event like the Women’s RWC, I wouldn’t laugh mate.

Tag rugby

Schools are easily 50% of underage rugby players too.

It is also a route for goms to feel up women on the pitch, fill them with drink afterwards to get a feel of their pink bits.

80k is 0.2% of the population of USA - 64k is 1.3% of the Irish population. - 6 times as many people per population

So?

Nobody claimed that rugby union is a major sport in the US. In absolute terms it destroys stick ball though.

FAO @Tim_Riggins

An average of 191,300 watched Ireland’s win over Australia on RTE2 with a peak of 322,300.

1 Like

You’re the one bringing it up, mate - You were asked for the number of pro players world wide and you starting spouting about a 7s game in Utah.

Decent numbers to be fair.

Very respectable rating that.

I watched the opening 7 minutes which were gash & fucked off out to cut the lawn.

Stick hurling isn’t even popular in Oireland ffs. :joy:

1 Like

You are a stat unfortunately

I can’t quantify that number.

It would be like trying to quantify the number of professional English soccer players worldwide. There are different leagues and interpretation of what makes a pro.

I was just giving you a brief digest of the top tier of club rugby in those countries.

Hurling is very popular with Irish people… the more anglicized counties play a game of football with hurling rules.