The Anti-Rugby Football Thread

It’s not.

Most Irish people have absolutely no interest in it and it is only taken seriously in a handful of counties that border Tipperary.

Irish people love hurling. Anglicized Irish people love football which is played with hurling rules.

Most Irish people don’t.

Eh there’s 17m living in the Netherlands. So that’s less than a third.

Take it up with Priya bro

Why would I?

They’re her figures. She has no reason to lie.

He played, but not much more than all his mates or the rest of us from similar backgrounds, it was winter sport and largely came 2nd.

Hurling is more british than the gah fella

2 Likes

Nobody is sweking numbers like the GAA.

Pulling out a “b” team once a year registars 15 “players” apparently.

I have a friend working in Japan. They mostly work. Alot of them work within the companies they ay for, Toshiba and the likes. They get educated and train and work somewhat less hours.

Only the impirts tend to be true pros

Its a good culture really.

What? Football was invented. The game of hurling and variations of it have been played in Ireland for thousands of years. When football was invented It was given hurling rules to make it Irish.

Yes, rugby is, I’ve just spelled it out above.

Bullshit

I agree

Long was always known as one of the best underage soccer prospects in Tipperary. It was always claimed he had a decent chance of going to England.

Kev is bullshitting here.

Modern stick hurling was invented by the gentry in Trinity College and played on a rugby field, hence the posts stick hurling uses. If it wasn’t for rugby there would be no such thing as stick hurling.

4 Likes

Displaying your ignorance once again.

Why did he end up playing Minor for Tipp so?

Because there was no surity of anything. He had not even played underage for Ireland before moving to City. Pat Dolan stole him from relative obscurity. I remember it clearly as i knew lads playing with him at the time both in Michaels and City.

Had things rolled slightly differently he would have stayed hurling. And arguably fallen between 2 stools and never excelled at either.

Cork City got him recognition and while i am stretching it here, i have a hazy memory of him being seen in an Munster Senior Cuo game that was against City or Ramblers and it alerted people to him.

He was still hurling up to that move as far as i know. Thats a late change in any mans language.

Dolan’s brother Eamon was the Academy boss at Reading iirc, they came over to watch Kevin Doyle and took both on his recommendation