The Anti-Rugby Football Thread

They have lads here and far driven demented

1 Like

@Spidey and @TheUlteriorMotive must have been woeful at rogbee not to have made it professionally

2 Likes

Any able bodied young adult could turn out for a soccer or Gaelic football team, you’d see lads in the lower divisions of junior soccer or football leagues who can’t kick a ball but can do a job, can’t happen in rubby

It doesn’t happen as nobody has an interest in playing it

2 Likes

I have 25 caps.

3 Likes

:open_mouth:

What are you shitting about? You dont need to do anything in rubby but bang into another fella - it’s grown up red rover :joy:

John Hayes only started playing at 19 and got over 100 caps ffs

1 Like

You wouldn’t have a hope mate, Any gobdaw who was ever forced to play indoor soccer in PE could turn out in the Cork AUL of Limerick DL, I’ve seen it happen, you or I wouldn’t have the first clue what to do on a rugby pitch

You’re not making any sense. You are talking nonsense.

Is this your new angle? -

let’s play along for now - If yov’ve never really kicked a soccer ball athleticism could get you so far but you’d be equally out of your depth initially and you wouldn’t improve a whole ton as time went on- very minute if coming to the game late.

Same applies to Gaelic football - but i’d say you’d improve over time a lot more then you would with soccer.

Rubby - you’d be lost initially and learning to take the hits would be the biggest thing, but there’s very little skill involved outside 1, maybe 2 positions, you’d grow every year you play and finish up a decent player if you were able to put in the physical work.

I’d say my initial point has been lost, on a basic level what I meant to get across was that if you got to adulthood and felt like taking up a teamsport having achieved a certain level of fitness and wanted to get some enjoyment out of it you’d never choose rugby, it’s far too complicated and no fitness will prepare you for that sort of physicality. I’ve seen plenty of lads who weren’t any good at ball growing up become ok lower league AUL or shipping league players. I’m speaking personally because I don’t know any rugby players so I may be wrong. I’d say rugger takes a lot of learning, you could learn the basics of the other games by getting thrown in

I’d say, I’d say, I’d say. You haven’t a fucking clue what you’re on about.

10 Likes

Are you bored?

Perhaps you are mistaking my desire not to seem like a knowitall with my not having a clue. I made a simple point that was misinterpreted,

2 Likes

You are making no sense, out of your depth.

I know 3 lads from our football club who decided to go playing rugby one winter having never played it before and all 3 were starting on the rugby team within a couple of weeks.

1 Like

I’d imagine their Gaelic Football skills came in very handy.

1 Like

To my eternal shame, my auld lad took it up at 38 after he finished playing soccer and was starting out-half after a few months, played for 2 years. If he had started 8 years earlier he probably would have played for Ireland.

2 Likes

Most rugby clubs have third and second XVs so that is possible .

Exactly.
@backinatracksuit is saying it’s not possible for someone to just “take up rugby”