The art discussion thread

[quote name=ā€˜Kinvaraā€™s Passionā€™ timestamp=ā€˜1350241008ā€™ post=ā€˜688258ā€™]I had a 2 hour window to work with in the National Art Gallery in Trafalgar sq on Thursday evening. I cold have spent the whole day there.

For absolute attention to detail the winner for me was ā€˜Supper at Emmausā€™ by Caravaggio. You could sit for hours taking it all in. I am not overly enthused with his physical image of Jesus, I always had him down as a more Kev type physical specimen.

If I had to pick a piece to hang in my sitting room it would probably be this oneā€¦ The Hay Wain by John Constable. Probably the muldoon in me but this is a wonderful piece of art.

http://www.art-prints-on-demand.com/kunst/john_constable/heuwagen_hi.jpg[/quote]

Great call on the Caravaggio. I loved the Stubbs one of the chestnut horse as well.

[quote=ā€œbalbec, post: 458551ā€]

Great call on the Caravaggio. I loved the Stubbs one of the chestnut horse as well.[/quote]

I went to some church in Rome that had a few Caravaggios in it, I wouldnā€™t be massively interested in art but thought they were way above anything else iā€™ve seen. The colours and attention to details were brilliant.

i always use this as my backround, make for a great discussion when the boss asks what it is
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:DaliGreatMasturbator.jpg

[quote=ā€œThe Runt, post: 458552ā€]

I went to some church in Rome that had a few Caravaggios in it, I wouldnā€™t be massively interested in art but thought they were way above anything else iā€™ve seen. The colours and attention to details were brilliant.[/quote]

Yeah, i saw the beheading one in Malta as well. The faces are incredible.

Iā€™ve never seen those Contarelli Chapel paintings except in text books but they look like incredible works. Iā€™m convinced his use of dramatic lighting in the Calling of St Matthew had an influence on a scene from Tarantinoā€™s Pulp Fiction and was considering doing a thesis on it but have now abandoned the idea.

I am going through a great phase of German Romanticism at the moment. Friedrich is just sublime at times, best man ever to paint ā€˜nebelā€™.

http://www.belvedere.at/website/var/assets/images/sammlungen/klassizismus-romantik-biedermeier/romantik/friedrich_meeresstrand_nebel.jpg

Are you into any modern stuff SS?

I know fook all about art in general but Iā€™ve taken to some existential works, albeit on google images. But I enjoy the violence of Francis Bacon, the solitude of Alberto Giacomettiā€™s work and some of Jean Fautrierā€™s madness tho he is a little too abstract for me.

Are you a fan? I stumbled across them while reading an essay on de Beauvoir, and far from being an art critic, having an interest in existentialism certainty helped me ā€˜getā€™ these works where I generally look at art and just see paint and canvass. In saying that, I was at an exhibition last night and I found more beauty in my ale than on the wall.

Thirty-seven pieces of state-owned artwork are missing or ā€œunaccounted forā€ from within Leinster House, it has been confirmed. Individual paintings, prints, statues and other pieces of state-owned artwork assigned to the Leinster House complex, under the charge of the Office of Public Works (OPW), have been misplaced following the largest changeover of offices because of the general election last year. An initial inventory of the Stateā€™s art collection has been completed and it found that 37 pieces of artwork from within Leinster House are ā€œunaccounted forā€, the OPW has confirmed. It is now up to accommodation managers in Leinster House to locate the artwork, and if they cannot, then it will officially be declared missing. The final inventory is expected to be concluded in the ā€œnext two or three weeksā€, an OPW spokesman said. Leinster House is a particularly busy complex with politicians, staff, members of the media and the public having access to different areas of the complex. Often, when staff move offices, they take artwork they like with them and this poses great difficulty to the OPW and management staff in Leinster House to keep a track on them, the spokesman said. ā€œWe donā€™t have the resources to constantly keep a track of where things go, but it is now up to the accommodation office in Leinster House to establish the whereabouts of these pieces,ā€ the OPW spokesman said. ā€œImportant works of artā€ by Irish artists including Leo Whelan, Sean Oā€™Sullivan, Maurice McGonigal, Patrick Hickey and Tom Ryan, are on display within Leinster House, with the OPW also taking charge for pieces in the offices of Dail deputies and senators. Pieces from contemporary artists including James Hanley, Sonja Landweer, Mary Fitzgerald, Stephen Vaughan and Cora Cummins are part of the collection. The collection includes 365 prints; 290 paintings; 24 sculptures; 21 drawings; 14 photographs; six ā€œreproductionsā€ and four pieces of textile art. The OPW was not in a position to put a valuation on the collection, or the missing pieces, but said none of the pieces in question was of ā€œcritical importanceā€. In total, a record 76 new Dail deputies were elected in February 2011 and took up their offices once the 31st Dail convened on March 9, 2011, all requiring accommodation. Combined with that, a total of 45 TDs lost their seats and a further 36 retired and did not stand for election, who needed to vacate their offices within the Leinster House. ā€œGiven the size of the collection under the auspices of the OPW, it is impossible to know where everything is all of the time,ā€ an OPW spokesman said. The OPW said that while a number of pieces are unaccounted for since the general election, others have been missing since before that.

Not really mate, Bacon was a loveable old fag but I wouldnā€™t be a fan of his work. Itā€™s interesting but if Iā€™d a bucket load of cash I wouldnā€™t be sending my dealer out to buy it. As for modern, I like some abstract work but I prefer the late 19th and early 20th century movements like Fauvism, The Blue Rider, etc. I really donā€™t get how something like a Sean Scully has emotion, even a Rothko or Mondrian I find hard to explain despite liking them.

BTW this is a top class documentary on Bacon with the legendary Melvyn Bragg doing the interviewing. Should be in the documentaries thread really.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhaqwlZxJZI

SS- or others- Can you throw up a decent sized version of Daniel Macliseā€™s ā€˜The installation of Captain Rockā€™ - I canā€™t find it anywhere bar a few smaller reinterpretations.

http://www.crawfordartgallery.ie/danielmaclisepage/MacLarge9.jpg

As big as I can find CM. I saw the Marriage of Aoife and Strongbow in restoration during the year. Painstaking stuff.

New series of Portrait Artist of the Year on Sky Arts now. I love this show.

Disgusting & childish tampering of the Thread title.

2 Likes

I went to IMMA yesterday with the kids. Always a great day out. I was surprised to see an even higher ratio than normal of what I considered to be ā€˜chancerā€™ art. Examples included, a framed photo of an empty room BUT the artist had build a ramp for you to walk up as you looked at it. Some folded cloth shawls. a room with a load of till receipts.
Definitely worth a visit.

Guys, I was in the art gallery yesterday before I went to the national museum

that is all

Wrong thread mate. You want the Art but no discussion thread it seems.

ā€˜The Last General Absolution of the Munsters at Rue du Boisā€™, by Fortunio Matania.

Love this haunting war painting. That skyā€¦

5 Likes

Joseph Wright of Derby
ā€˜a scientific experiment with a bird in an air pumpā€™.
I.saw this in the tate Britain years ago. Itā€™s some piece of work. Apparently the cub closing the curtain/blocking out the moon represents the death of superstition and the supremacy of science. It is said that the piercing gaze of the central figure is interrogating the viewer and asking whether he or she has any qualms about snuffing out.the.bird. According to my own reading of the work the fella in the left is trying to get the ride.
300px-An_Experiment_on_a_Bird_in_an_Air_Pump_by_Joseph_Wright_of_Derby%2C_1768

4 Likes

An absorbing piece of work.
Hereā€™s a better image.

4 Likes

The return of the prodigal son by Rembrandt.

This was the gospel today, a parable about forgiveness and healingā€¦

3 Likes

Thatā€™s some bit of work. Do you think thereā€™s a man alive who could put together something like that?