The Ashes 2013 - Part I

England still behind follow on target and seven down. Still think it will be a draw.

Ordinarily it should be a draw from here, but with Australia having to win it, Clarke could well make an aggressive declaration tomorrow making it a winnable test for both teams.

+1. Clarke has a record of making these aggressive declarations too.

i hate cricket

Delighted to see KP getting his ton. My second favorite batsman after Amla.

True and he does have a reputation for doing it.

Useful 74 runs to the overnight total for England. All out for 368. Australia lead by 159.

Australia dominate for 4 days and this test will end a draw, because of weather, England’s purposeful slow play and Umpires decisions. If you couldn’t drink at Test Cricket…

Highlight if the day, the crowd making a snake from empty pint glasses. It stretched maybe 50 metres and when they were adding another few metres to it a bus boy took it from them. He was roundly booed and rightfully so.

331 lead. I imagine Clarke will declare before play commences. A draw is a loss for him, so he has to go for it.

Fuck off

[quote=“Scrunchie, post: 812602, member: 1408”]Australia dominate for 4 days and this test will end a draw, because of weather, England’s purposeful slow play and Umpires decisions. If you couldn’t drink at Test Cricket…

Highlight if the day, the crowd making a snake from empty pint glasses. It stretched maybe 50 metres and when they were adding another few metres to it a bus boy took it from them. He was roundly booed and rightfully so.[/quote]

worst post ever

The double standards are breathtaking. By your own admission, you don’t like the great game of rugby union and the institution that is the British Lions. That didn’t stop you from doing your fly around shit routine on the British Lions thread with infantile ramblings and failed comedy attempts.

If Robbie has a problem with cricket, is this not the place to express it?

England three wickets down at lunch. Looks as though the weather will intervene and make it a draw though.

yeah , nervy time for them. They were expecting the rain already I think?

England, despite the fact that they are being hockeyed, have won the series by drawing this match because it’s been raining-what an odd sport.

Swings and roundabouts. The last Ashes test at Old Trafford in 2005 rain intervened throughout and essentially prevented England from winning as they had 9 Australian wickets down second innings. If you don’t take 20 opposition wickets the match is a draw.

What’s odd is something like soccer. In cricket if its a draw its called a draw. In soccer you have a bizarre lottery system for the sake of declaring a winner in a drawn match.

[quote=“Manuel Zelaya, post: 812790, member: 377”]Swings and roundabouts. The last Ashes test at Old Trafford in 2005 rain intervened throughout and essentially prevented England from winning as they had 9 Australian wickets down second innings. If you don’t take 20 opposition wickets the match is a draw.

What’s odd is something like soccer. In cricket if its a draw its called a draw. In soccer you have a bizarre lottery system for the sake of declaring a winner in a drawn match.[/quote]

Yes there are no draws in soccer alright.

TMS on radio 4 was epic today
rain delays really produce incredible, off the cuff radio and passed the day for me in work
Freddy flintoff had a lovely interview with Merv Hughes where great stories about sledging were swapped. Henry Blofeld told a few epic stories from his Eton days and Sir Geoffrey Boycott was talking about rhubarb and custard.
for me the highlight was however the interview with Sir William Robert Patrick “Robin” Knox-Johnston, OBE who in 1969 became the first man to singlehandly circumnavigate the globe non stop.
He told the most extraordinary story about the annual cricket match that takes place on the Solent would you believe between The Island Sailing Club and the Royal Southern Yacht Club.
As you all know The Solent is the strip of water seperating the Isle of Wright from mainland Britain however once a year the tide allows a cricket match to be played on the sand bank in full whites.
Remarkable.
The quality of conversation between Johnaton Agnew and Sir William was outstanding throughout the sequence.
there’s a lovely article about it here
http://www.islandpulse.co.uk/b2/brambles-cricket-exposed-on-sandbank/

Disgusted that England got away with that today because of the weather. Their attitude yesterday was shockingly negative. Going out cunt-acting with that deliberate slow play shit was a joke for a team with pretensions of being seen as great. They should have been going out to roll over Australia for less than 150 and look to knock off 300 odd to win then, it’s what the great Aussie team would have done in that scenario. It’s what the Saffers would do now. There comes a time when you have to accept the inevitable and dry up the runs, but at least have a go for a while. And Cook should be suspended for the next Test for such deliberate slow play.

Anyway, the real lesson from the Test is that England’s batting line-up isn’t as good as they think it is. Trott has lost the powers of concentration he had to bat amazingly long, and that was what briefly made him world-class. I honestly think he’s finished now. Bairstow not good enough yet. Cook and Prior in poor nick, Root still struggling with the transition to Test level as an opener though I’m sure he will be a star in time. Also, Ryan Harris proved again what a serious operator he is. Pity injury has curtailed his career so far, but he still potentially has a few good years left in him.

Australia could have declared earlier they knew the weather forecast. Only their own fault to be 2-0 down. solution to slow over rates is run penalties. I would drop Bairstow and take another look at Taylor.