The Ashes 2013 - Part I

There was a good interview with Joe Hart on saturday, seems like a nice lad. Gary Neville was on Sunday. Vaughan and Alex Stewart did 606 last night, was a good natured phone in.

[quote=“braz83, post: 812839, member: 390”]Disgusted that England got away with that today because of the weather. Their attitude yesterday was shockingly negative. Going out cunt-acting with that deliberate slow play shit was a joke for a team with pretensions of being seen as great. They should have been going out to roll over Australia for less than 150 and look to knock off 300 odd to win then, it’s what the great Aussie team would have done in that scenario. It’s what the Saffers would do now. There comes a time when you have to accept the inevitable and dry up the runs, but at least have a go for a while. And Cook should be suspended for the next Test for such deliberate slow play.

Anyway, the real lesson from the Test is that England’s batting line-up isn’t as good as they think it is. Trott has lost the powers of concentration he had to bat amazingly long, and that was what briefly made him world-class. I honestly think he’s finished now. Bairstow not good enough yet. Cook and Prior in poor nick, Root still struggling with the transition to Test level as an opener though I’m sure he will be a star in time. Also, Ryan Harris proved again what a serious operator he is. Pity injury has curtailed his career so far, but he still potentially has a few good years left in him.[/quote]

They wouldn’t be the first team to have a slow over rate, Clive Lloyd’s West Indies team were notorious for it. England have been decidedly average all series but it certainly helped Australia’s batting was so dire at Trent Bridge and Lords. The highest innings total England have posted in three tests is 375. As has been said, Cook, Trott, Baristow & Prior have all been well below par. Pietersen did nothing first two tests, before his century at Old Trafford. Root posted a big score at Lords, but the pressure was off after Australia were skittled out for 127. Bell the only top order batsman to have played well in the series. Anderson was exceptional at Trent Bridge. Apart from that, the bowling has been average enough as well.

Could be a tricky enough series for England down under if they don’t buck up. Clarke is Australia’s only world class batsman, but a few of the rest of them will probably bat okay on their home pitches and Australia do have decent fast bowlers. England do have the look of a team on a downward spiral.

As of yesterday, the weather forecast seemed to have it dry from around 1pm onwards, don’t think they could have plausibly declared at any stage yesterday to be honest. Run penalties would work, but don’t think most umpires would have the balls to do it during a match unless there was very well defined parameters. They were apparently in the umpires’ ears all day yesterday about the light too, ultimately leading to the ludicrous decision to take them off (didn’t make a difference in the end as the rain came soon enough after).

Agreed on Taylor for Bairstow. Onions named in the squad for the next game, which is on his home ground in Durham. Interesting to see if they decide to freshen up the bowling attack. Tom Moody made a decent point on TV last night that holds relevance for the series in Australia. He reckons Australia’s seamers are more likely to get something out of a flat pitch than England’s, which I think is right. I’d take Harris and Siddle on a flat deck any day over Broad and Bresnan. Even Anderson is limited if he isn’t getting the ball to move, which was something he struggled with in New Zealand during the last winter.

Slow over rate was only part of what I thought was an overly negative and generally irritating attitude yesterday. They were laughing in an almost sneering manner through the day, as if they had concocted some kind of a genius plan to waste time. In terms of over rate, at least that Windies team pretty much always had fast bowlers steaming in off full run-ups from both ends. Swann bowled through the middle session yesterday, and they had an over rate of around 12. Shocking stuff, and in the long run it just sends a signal to oppositions that England don’t fully believe in themselves.

I think the general listless attitude seeped through to their batting too today. I reckon the Aussies would have bowled them out in 60 overs if they got them.

Was just looking at a few stats there, Broad’s wickets have cost more than 50 each this series. I like Bresnan actually. Siddle is a flaking bowler, never gives up.

Nail on head as always from Geoff Boycott
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cricket/international/theashes/10224441/Ashes-2013-England-are-just-lucky-to-win-because-Australia-have-been-so-bad.html

Woeful from England today. currently 197-8 after being 112-1. A scratchy 50 from Cook. Trott going well then out for 49. Pietersen playing his shots from the off and out for 26. More failures from Root and Bairstow and Prior.

Their batting line up is gone to pure shit.

A lot of them dialling in their performances at the moment. Finished 238-9.

Dreadful batting display from England. As I’ve said before 375 is the highest innings total they’ve posted this series. Bairstow is not up to it. Prior has gone off the boil. Root posted 180 second innings at Lord’s when England had a 200+ first innings lead. His other six scores have been 30, 5, 6, 8, 13 & 16. Pietersen’s only knock of consequence was his century at Old Trafford. Trott badly out of form. Cook scratchy enough, Bell only batsman playing to form over the series but threw away his wicket cheaply today.

England got out of jail first two tests because Australia’s batting was even more abject at Trent Bridge and Lord’s and because they foolishly didn’t play Nathan Lyon.

Clarke’s wicket will be key tomorrow. If England can get him out cheaply enough, they’ll be well back in the match. The 40 runs that have been put on for the last two wickets so far could be useful yet.l

Australia collapsing quite dramatically this morning. Rogers went for 110 earlier, they are now 245/8. A lead of just 7.

England were lucky with one review. Barely clipping the glove. Harris is wagging here now

Bell with a cover drive for 4 and knocked over by a Harris bouncer off the next delivery. Test match cricket. :clap:

England are 199-4, a lead of 167. Bell on 84 and Bairstow on 22.

Bairstow has nicked behind off Lyon. Another good catch by Haddin. 223/5 with Bresnan coming in as nightwatchman now. Bell needs to be there at stumps - he’s on 96 now.

Another Ashes hundred for Ian Bell.

Bell is a class act. Bairstow should be dropped and Root put back to six. Compton should open. England getting out of jail here but need a lead of 250-300.

Sensational cricket being played this morning so far. Ryan Harris firing grenades with the new ball and England deciding attack is the best form of defence on a deteriorating pitch. 3 wickets for Harris, including Bell, and Bresnan teeing off at the other end. Great stuff. 290/8.

New ball made some difference. That was some ball from Harris to get Bell. Bresnan, Broad and now Swann really having a cut at it. 72 runs in the first hours play. 306/8 now.

As good an hour’s sport as you will see there. Drinks break. I’m parched.

All out for 330, Australia chasing 299 currently 8-0.