The Ashes 2013 - Part I

It all begins in Trent Bridge tomorrow. Not the paradise of swing it has been in recent seasons apparently, and with the hot weather, reverse swing and spin are expected to feature prominently. Could be a big toss to win, batting first looks like an advantage. Cricinfo seem to reckon that Bresnan will edge out Finn for the final bowling spot, partly because of the expectation that he will get the ball to reverse. Can’t see it myself, the current England set-up are loathe to make too many changes unless there is a chronic loss of form or they see it as a long-term thing (the Root/Comtpon/Bairstow thing was a combination of both I think). Looking like Warner will play for the Aussies and bat at six. Definitely a better feeling around the Aussie camp since the change of coach, but I still think they are second best in terms of batting depth (though England’s batting isn’t as good as some seem to make out, big question marks around Bairstow, and I don’t think Trott or Bell can be relied upon to consistently deliver runs anymore) and they unquestionably are in terms of spin bowling. Both sets of quicks look impressive, and both seem to have decent talent in reserve there too. Hard to see England not winning the series at the moment, but I expect it to be competitive. 3-1 or something like that.

Wish I’d taken tomorrow off work now. :frowning:

Weather permitting, I’d expect England to win 5-0.

I reckon there’s at least one collapse in that England batting line-up. Think they’ll lose a game or possibly two.

The likes of Swann and Broad have been irritating me over the last few years, so I’m lending my support to the Aussies for this one. I reserve the right to change my view if Warner starts playing a prominent role in the series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIUaGwMRY9Y

[quote=“braz83, post: 799449, member: 390”]The likes of Swann and Broad have been irritating me over the last few years, so I’m lending my support to the Aussies for this one. I reserve the right to change my view if Warner starts playing a prominent role in the series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIUaGwMRY9Y
[/quote]
:eek: Welcome aboard Braz.
Can’t wait, first session could define the whole series. This is the test Australia need to win if they are to have any hope. Expect them to be very aggressive.

I’d go with 3-1 to the home side too.

Ordinarily, I’d prefer them to win it than Australia but Boyd Rankin’s defection was the last straw for me. I’ll be neutral to start with anyway.

[quote=“Bandage, post: 799461, member: 9”]I’d go with 3-1 to the home side too.

Ordinarily, I’d prefer them to win it than Australia but Boyd Rankin’s defection was the last straw for me. I’ll be neutral to start with anyway.[/quote]
:eek: Given Bandage’s record of bandwagon jumping, this is a great omen.

I’m terribly worried about these doctored pitches…

As Ian Brown and the boys say this is the one we’re waiting for.

I hope England win the toss and bat first as I reckon they are in for a big surprise this morning with the Aussie quicks. I’m still worried about the batting depth but no better time to play yourself into form than in a long series. The only one sided Ashes contests we’ve ever had in England have been when Australia have put manners on the home side. Englands last two victories at home have been by the bare minimum. 2005 was deserved but 2009 all went tits up when we couldn’t take that last wicket in Cardiff despite being the better side in 3 of the tests.

Let the fun begin.

The Aussies have picked a 19 year old left arm spinner, Ashton Agar. Never heard of him.

All I’ve heard is he’s a Sri Lankan who can hang around with the bat. Spin wise he’s a left handed Tim May, ie solid but not spectacular.

England have won the toss and will bat. A bit overcast at the moment.

Australia have reduced them to 178/5. A good bowling performance so far. England require one of Prior’s typical momentum changing innings but if Australia can get cheaply then they’ll be laughing. Bairstow is the other not out batsman.

Siddle with another to get rid of Prior. Not good for the number 8 to be out in the middle batting before afternoon tea on day 1 of a test match. Australia firmly on top here.

:clap:

All out 215. Poor from E&W today.

Australia 3 down already. Finn nearly got Clarke with his hat trick ball but Anderson has cleaned him up for a duck now.

Just home now. Looks like a cracker of an opening day. Huge hour coming up here. Two more wickets and England are laughing. This Aussie batting line up is really awful.

Needs to get Swann on. These two are flagging. How bad is Broad I wonder?

4 down. Honours even, if England get a few early tomorrow Aus will be in deep shit.