The Ashes 2013 - Part I

Should be better batting conditions tomorrow apparently, was quite gloomy all day today. The first session will be crucial in that context.

Anderson’s ball to get Clarke was an absolute beauty.

Only saw the highlights, but was very impressed with Steve Smith. That was a great effort considering the pressure he was under when he came to the crease. Will be interesting to see if he can kick on from here. Delighted to see Pietersen flop.

I was a bit disappointed with the aussie bowling tbh, not as aggressive as I thought they’d be, but Siddle was excellent when he changed ends. But I suppose, you have to be happy with getting them out for 215. Some of the english batting was terrible, Cook, the master of leaving on his offside, extending his bat as far as possible to get out. But the aussie batting, jesus nora. Cowan has to go, has to go, clueless, never seena player so overthinking what he does. Disappointed in Watson, Rogers unlucky. Steve Smith is a decent player who is very comfortable with spin. If he and Hughes can get a half decent partnership together and keep their wickets for a few hours on Thursday, they could win this test. The aussie tail is far better than the english and I actually expect them to hit 250.

Brave decision on Ashton Agar, but he’s fearless, he was very economical and if he starts to take 1 or 2 wickets per innings, he’ll be a great asset. He can bat too, averages 33 in first class (admittedly only 10 first class games).

Fair play to Finn and Jimmy is a joy to watch.

Strange, but compelling days cricket, first session day two will be even more compelling.

Quote of the day to Finn “Its going to be eventful”.

The Ashes. Ah lovely :clap:

Saw the last hour and Smith was excellent. Took it to Swann too, which is always good to see.

I like KP. He’s exciting, and I think like a lot of people that are outwardly cocky, it’s masking insecurities. The fact that he ended up on the other side of the argument with the cuntish clique in that dressing room is also a plus in my view.

I think Bell’s place in the team might come under threat by the end of this series. He’s getting more and more into his shell I think, and can’t be trusted coming in in a tough scenario.

[quote=“braz83, post: 799974, member: 390”]Saw the last hour and Smith was excellent. Took it to Swann too, which is always good to see.

I like KP. He’s exciting, and I think like a lot of people that are outwardly cocky, it’s masking insecurities. The fact that he ended up on the other side of the argument with the cuntish clique in that dressing room is also a plus in my view.

I think Bell’s place in the team might come under threat by the end of this series. He’s getting more and more into his shell I think, and can’t be trusted coming in in a tough scenario.[/quote]
KP can’t exactly be trusted either though Braz, therein lies his problem.

Ah yeah, he’s clearly a bit of a tard but he’s so stupid he’d be harmless if managed correctly. I thought he was let hang out to dry last summer, though he was clearly in the wrong in the first place.

Disappointing batting performance from England. Didn’t think Australia had to bowl particularly well to get them out (although Australian quickies are the best part of their side). Too many English players just gave away their wickets. That’s a problem that seems to be happening with increasing frequency. Important to get an early wicket or two in the morning and get Australia out cheaply enough. Broad’s injury a concern. Don’t want to stuck with just the two seamers for the rest of this test.

Do you think a lot of it is nervousness? Every player out there seems to be overthinking it, very cautious, shit scared of making a mistake, on both sides. Smith’s opened up a bit, which is great to see.

dp

In Trott’s case, it was a most uncharacteristic lapse of concentration when he was well set. Bell looks low on confidence. Cook, Bairstow & Prior all out cheaply. Of the top order only Pietersen and Root were out to good deliveries from Siddle.

In Trott’s case, it was a most uncharacteristic lapse of concentration when he was well set. Bell looks low on confidence. Cook, Bairstow & Prior all out cheaply. Of the top order only Pietersen and Root were out to good deliveries from Siddle.

Trott was a huge wicket, as was in and seemed to be more confident and belligerant, he could have gone on to a huge score. Couldn’t believe Cook’s wicket, very uncharacteristic of him.

Just looked at this again, really really brilliant ball, no one could have played it.

Todays the day set up for Phillip Hughes to write himself into Ashes folklore. We’ve heard every joke about him in English conditions and how he plays reverse swing etc. Its over to you now Phil, no excuses go out and bat England out of this test. Smith was excellent yesterday, the standout performer even more than Siddle for me.

If there’s no cloud cover today then Australia have to be aiming to have a first innings lead of >70.

Boy was I delighted when England won the toss as the early morning conditions might have led to Australia being all out for less than 200. Now we have the perfect scenario whereby we can play our way into this series knowing we can bowl England out. All to play for.

Aus currently 118-9. Anderson and Swann doing the damage. Hughes is 21 n.o.

Yeah, Australia went from 108-4 to 117-9. Its a batting collapse that’s been all too common in Australia in recent years. England should have an 80-90 first innings lead and will be looking to bat Australia out of the match today.

What are conditions like there today?

Much better batting conditions. Australia have put on 47 for last wicket and counting. Deficit down to 51. Some really bad bowling from England now.

This Agar lad can bat a bit.