The Ashes 2013 - Part I

Yeah, Broad is one English player who demonstrates the level of sportsmanship you’d expect from your average Australian. Didn’t have to wait too long for things to start balancing out after the two howlers yesterday when Agar should have been dismissed on 6 after being stumped and Trott was incorrectly given out first ball.

Australia, of course, had no review challenges left so that obvious umpire error couldn’t be corrected. I saw one of the challenges earlier just before lunch. A ball clearly going well down the leg side but they’d just got Pietersen and Cook and perhaps giddily wasted the review in all the excitement.

Watson’s bowling figures: 13-11-3-0. :eek:

Pattinson gets a severe rebuke from the umpire for an over zealous lbw appeal. Clear inside edge from Bell.

Stumps after another magnificent day of test match cricket. 326/6, a lead of 261, with Bell on 95 and Broad on 47. Absolutely compelling stuff.

An underrated bowler and an overrated batsman.

Can’t wait for the highlights later. My brother described the Broad decision as the worst he’s ever seen.

[quote=“braz83, post: 800733, member: 390”]An underrated bowler and an overrated batsman.

Can’t wait for the highlights later. My brother described the Broad decision as the worst he’s ever seen.[/quote]

Was watching it in the pub with the sound turned down and we were perplexed. Took us ages to realise Aleem Dar simply didn’t think he hit it - we presumed it was a no ball. Sky had changed the score to 7 down too.

… Wrong thread

Sensational figures :clap:

Lads, what’s the craic with etiquette in test match cricket ?

Should Broad have walked himself ?

Should have walked. It may be acceptable for an Aussie to chance his luck but not an Englishman like Broad. A lot of tut-tutting on TMS.

Quite right. I’ve never forgiven Michael Atherton for questioning umpire Lloyd Barker over his dismissal in the fourth Test at Bridgetown in 1990. He should have taken a leaf from the great Ken Barrington who walked of his own volition in the third Test against South Africa at Newlands in 1964/65 despite being given not out on 49 after his edge off Peter Pollock was missed by the umpire.

The etiquette of the game must always remain paramount in my view.

Aus chasing 311 having taken the remaining four wickets reasonably quickly. My criticism of Bell obviously spurred him on. That century was huge, and showed great character in the circumstances.

Interesting start to the Aus innings. Watson with a couple of nice boundaries, but enough to keep both opening bowlers interested. Anderson’s first ball was an absolute beauty. Rogers edges one off Broad that landed short of slip. 311 will probably be too much for this batting line up, but I don’t think it’s an impossible chase on this surface.

68/0 and they’re looking comfortable. If one of these two kicks on to make a century, then they’ve a huge chance.

5 down now and 150 left to get. Not looking good.

192/6. England have just taken the new ball, with Australia requiring 119 more to win. Haddin and Agar are battling well here.

Agar gone for 14. Anderson from around the wicket and edge taken by Cook at first slip. 207/7.

Another wicket gone. Eng should wrap this up before lunchtime.

Jimmy Anderson just loves Trent Bridge. I hope he gets his 10 wickets.

This is Edgbaston 2005 all over again. Australia 10th wicket partnership now at 50. Target is down to 30 runs.