The ask Bandage about mortgages thread

Option 3 id say mate.

I’m in a 3 year fixed rate at the moment that will be up in June 2023. 2.85% currently which is ok.

I will be looking to fix for as long as I can at a lower rate than that though hopefully.

I would be looking for the Avant 7 year fixed at 1.95%, a no brainier with potential increase in rates.

2 Likes

Whats the threshold there mate re LTV?

I could be down below 65% id say if I got a valuation done.

It is 1.95% <60% and 2.05% 60%-70%. I would imagine with increasing values and a nice valuer!!!, you would be under 60%. You need to go through a broker for Avant, I have a lad if you need access to them.

3 Likes

I might give you a shout re that mate. How many years would they fix it for do you know?

1 Like

I would go for the seven year fixed option as I have a feeling rates are likely to increase in the next couple of years, it is a no brainer.

1 Like

I’ll definitely have a think about it. Must look into the deal we have with PTSB. Not sure if I can break out of it etc till next year.

Thanks though.

More than welcome. You can order a redemption statement from them, in a lot of cases you can break from your PTSB mortgage with no fee for this.

1 Like

Avant only lending at the low rates for properties in cities

They have an eircode tracker and it lets you know if they will look at it. I have numerous ones in Clare get over the line. If you do not meet criteria and have a mortgage of €250,000 or more the Haven switcher to get €5,000 or the PTSB five year green at 2.35% and 2% cashback and 2% monthly cashback are great options.

4 Likes

My 5 year fixed rate of 3% end with BOI in December … do you reckon I’m better moving it now and taking penalty or just wait til then and see what they offer ? For all the hassle of moving I think I’d take 3% again if offered

Interesting I spoke to a broker on Avant switch and he ruled it out straight away on basis I wasn’t in City or a key provincial town

Must have a relook

I am with haven, think I am eligible for the green 4 Yr fixed rate currently trying to find my ber cert

Wouldnt be material, if any, break fee this close to end of it

1 Like

Within 20km of the city apparently

He may not have the agency!!! If you pm your eircode I can let you know.

I would order a redemption statement. As there are long sub 2% rates and cashback incentives it is ideal to move now before and rate changes.

1 Like

It depends how much you have on your mortgage but the 2.35% PTSB green rate is a super rate when you take the cashback into account. If it is a small mortgage you are better off just getting the BER and saving any hassle in switching.

Any cashback offer is a fad that you’ll more than pay for throughout the contract.

1 Like

My thought is that 2.8% is still a historic low

Not sure about that. AIB offering 5000 cashback on a 2.35 mortgage fixed for 3 years. Grand and a half or less for solicitors fees and youve 3 and a half left over 3 years. More than makes up the difference on my mortgage anyway.

3 Likes