The ask Bandage about mortgages thread

We have our mortgage with Kbc. Mainly because they were our only option. As it turns out they were the best rates so it worked out well financially so far.

HOWEVER, the combination of the mortgage broker and Kbc were some of the remarkably idiotic people I’ve ever encountered in my life. Kbc have no idea what they’re doing, they have no systems to track progress of applications and if you correct anything they send on in documentation be prepared for them to continue to send you incorrect documentation repeatedly until your head is fit to explode.

The very minute you’re approved for a mortgage, these people know that you’re a tap in pay day and pay little attention to what needs to be done and it quickly becomes chaotic. We decided, foolishly enough, to get married and build a house at the same time. We managed to make it work but by far the most stressful part of the combined period of time was dealing with these absolute halfwits. Every time they sent us an email it was asking for documentation we had sent on weeks or months previously. In the end they made a balls of our closing date and we ended up having to spend the night we intended moving into the new house in our empty rented apartment after spending the day emptying it. You need to sit on them to make sure they do even the most basic things right.

My expectation going into building the house was that the builder would be a bit of a cowboy and need watching, our solicitor would do everything to make sure we are covered legally around what we need to pay for and when and that the banks and brokers would be experts in their professions and have the documentation process running smoothly. By the end I felt almost exactly the opposite.

Our solicitor was decent but made some basic mistakes, our builder is overwhelmingly sound and helpful and the mortgage brokers and Kbc are empty shirts. And from talking to others during the process our experience with the latter was common enough.

Good luck if any of ye go with them. Don’t give them an inch.

11 Likes

All these cunts in the world of finance are nothing but Cowboys and bluffers.

4 Likes

@bandage, can you get an exemption from the 3.5 times salary cap or is that a locked in central bank edict?

Absolute cast iron rule I’m afraid.

Locked in mate…no exceptions to that currently.

Personally think it’s a good rule

Fairplay to you pal…I personally wouldnt go near KBC though as I can see them leaving the Irish market.

Bollock.

It probably is in the main, though I have no liabilities and could well afford repayments on a higher amount, especially if I stretch out the term a couple of years.

Sound lads.

What would that mean to my mortgage if that happened?

Yes.

Good question…I presume one of the other banks would take it on…you’d be grand once you keep the repayments up.

Nothing

I don’t believe the 3.5 times is a cast iron limit. The banks have discretion for about 20% of their portfolio to go over that limit. That discretion is usually used for higher earners.

I thought that was for the old deposit rule, does that apply to the 3.5 too? The lad in KBC told me they’d give me a good bit above 3.5 if the central bank limit didn’t apply.

Both.

1 Like

Excellent.

We got exempted on the LTV. We got accepted with a 10% deposit. So pretty much exactly what the new rule is we were accepted at that level earlier in the year.

1 Like

Was the broker Irish Mortgages by any chance?

If you own the site you’re going to build on do you need any deposit?

Mate of mine had the exact same experience with KBC. Said they were the most unprofessional outfit he ever dealt with. The mortgage broker you used, it wasn’t a fella with initials SC by any chance was it?

I had some gas dealings with IIB/KBC between 2010 and 2013. The most idiotic shower of cunts I ever encountered.