The ask Bandage about mortgages thread

Just had a flick through this thread and my sympathies to go to anyone who has to deal with these cunts of financiers.

On another note, the thread title is exceptionally oxymoronic as itā€™s quite clear that yer man knows as much about about mortgages as a pig does about a holiday.

2 Likes

I was waiting for about 4 days for a fax to come through for the last mortgage from some thick cunt in Scotland who didnā€™t realize Ireland had a different telephone code to Scotland.

Great perception. Very impressive. :clap:

2 Likes

I feel awful. I hope heā€™ll be ok.

You horrible cunting bastard. Go fuck yourself.

2 Likes

Iā€™m sorry ok?

2 Likes

Lads my missus owns a place outright in the states and Iā€™m wondering what would be the best way to go about securing a mortgage for us to buy here in Ireland. Would we be better off looking for a loan here in Ireland and if we did could we use that place as equity or would we be better off to look for a loan in the states on the back of it. All her income is made and paid in the US even though we are living in Dublin so income wise our situation is a bit messy. also if we did buy a place here in Dublin but moved to the states in the next few years how would we be taxed on rental income?

doubt the Banks here would be willing to use a US property as makeweight collateral. Should be willing to but too much hassle for them Id say to bother.

One of tax experts will tell you definitively but you are resident for tax purposes for up to three years after you leave (I think) for the purposes of ā€œnon salaryā€ income for want of better word. So your rental income would be taxed here anyways. No idea how the US would treat it.

if you borrow in US for the house here you probably couldnt offset any interest against the rental income either, so could end up being taxed v heavily on it. You need professional advice anyways TBH

Do you need the house in the states for collateral or have ye the deposit without it?

We could get a deposit together easily enough but even with that the problem is she has no income here in Ireland so Iā€™m assuming we would struggle to get a mortgage off any of the Irish banks. Iā€™m assuming they wouldnā€™t take her income in the US in to account and it would just be based on mine. Itā€™s a pain in the bollix as our rent is gone through the roof. Iā€™m guessing we need to sit down with a financial planner asap. The though of paying 18,000 in rent next year is sickening when we could buy a decent place and be paying a good bit less.

My advice would be go into the bank and see what they say and donā€™t mention the property in the states at all. That would confuse and terrify them. Also you could claim to be a first time buyer if you were so inclined. They wonā€™t know any better

1 Like

Agree with this. They might be willing to accept the US income (or a portion of it) if they felt it was easily replaceable in this country. AIB likely to be lot more open to looking at something outside the norm than the likes of KBC who are stone useless. Dont know about BOI or UB.

Brother was in your position 2 years ago. He ended up selling the place in the US and using the substantial equity as basis for a deposit here. His Mrs wasnā€™t working either, so it reduced his LTV significantly and he was able to get a lowish mortgage handy enough.

Keeping the house in the states (therefore an address) I believe wouldā€™ve raped him in US taxes as his worldwide earnings would have been up for grabs (i think from memory). Iā€™ll ask him later for more details. Heā€™d be savvy enough and had a tax advisor on it for him

1 Like

Cheers. We are looking at a rent increase of 300 a month from next March and itā€™s a ridiculous situation to be in paying nearly 20,000 a year in rents when we could buy a place for smaller monthly repayments if itā€™s doable. Selling the place in new York isnā€™t really on the cards as we may move back there at some point. Meeting a financial adviser next week to see can what our options are.

Not gonna be much use to you I think

He wasnā€™t NY but couldnā€™t get a mortgage here for love or money with owning the house in the US. It was actually 4 years ago so climate was different, and may have changed now.

the tax equalisation thing was too much of a mare in his words so he decided and eventually got his company to pay him from here and built up a record to get the mortgage.

So absolutely no use to you Iā€™m afraid after that false dawn. His advice is to get good tax advice from someone here who knows your state and federal tax stuff. He came across a few gobshites before he hit the right man.

Is she paid in dollars?

That would be a major flag due to currency fluctuations.

This is where a decent broker comes in.

Yep shes paid in dollars. Fuck it will meet with this fella next week and see is there anything we can do. Cheers for the advice lads.

Is she your ā€˜missusā€™ or Mrs. Stewart?

You think you could do the same with uk/ireland regards pretending to be a first time buyer