The Barclays Premier League™ 2013/14

[quote=“Captainshan, post: 794922, member: 41”]https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/944452_10151546548067746_527061156_n.jpg

The New lads start work today. Hopefully a few signings will be made before the start of the tour.[/quote]

:rolleyes:

Not sure of the most appropriate thread for this, but my word the middle-aged man will be disappointed with himself when he watches the CCTV back again.

Former England and Chelsea footballer Ray Wilkins was too drunk to stand when he was stopped for driving his car erratically, a court has been told.
Mr Wilkins, 56, slurred his words and leaned on his Jaguar XP for support when he was pulled over near his Cobham home in May 2012, magistrates heard.
North Surrey Magistrates’ Court also heard he fell asleep in a police patrol car and later swore at officers.
Mr Wilkins denies a charge of drinking and driving.
Tests taken at a police station showed he was almost three times the legal limit.
‘Strong smell of liquor’
The former England midfielder was arrested on 7 May last year after his car was seen “weaving” down the road at about 01:45 BST, the court heard.
It was alleged Mr Wilkins’s car had “lurched” forward and then hit a traffic island.
PC Nicholas Skidmore told the court: "There was a strong smell of intoxicating liquor in the vehicle and around him.
“When he got out of the vehicle, he couldn’t stand up properly,” he said.
“He had to lean against the car.”
The officer said he handcuffed the Sky Sports football pundit, who then fell asleep in his unmarked police car.
The court was told Mr Wilkins was then taken to a local police station where he was told he could not make a call to his wife until he had provided two breath samples.
CCTV played to the court showed him apparently trying to complete the tests.
‘Absolutely ridiculous’
He was heard to swear to officers before saying: "I can’t even phone my missus.
“I’m not going to bash up anybody - this is ridiculous, absolutely ridiculous.”
PC Skidmore told the hearing: “[He said] he knew that he had done wrong and he wanted to speak to his wife as soon as possible.”
Paul Lund for the prosecution said Mr Wilkins would challenge the result of the breath test.
He said: "Mr Wilkins says that he can’t have drunk enough to produce that high reading.
"At the end of the day, the defence is relying on Mr Wilkins’ assertion that he hadn’t drunk enough.
“He would say that, wouldn’t he?”
The footballer won 84 caps for England and played for clubs including AC Milan, Chelsea and Manchester United during a career that spanned three decades.
In 1993 he was appointed MBE for services to football.
The case continues

What’s the science behind the alcohol tests? It says he was 3 times over the limit but if he couldn’t even stand up, he should have been a lot more no?

That’s what I was thinking. Unless he was a pioneer until very recently that seems very drunk for 3 times the limit.

I don’t think it works like:

1 pint = the limit
3 pints = 3 times the limit

I’d say the Limerick Tifosi were at least 55,ooo,ooo times over the limit in the past 2 days.

http://www.football365.com/john-nicholson/8825026/United-Need-Action-Not-Transfer-PR

That’s a smashing article, gola.

Nobody wants to go to United.

[quote=“TreatyStones, post: 802264, member: 1786”]I don’t think it works like:

1 pint = the limit
3 pints = 3 times the limit[/quote]
Interesting, can you elaborate on that please?

[quote=“Rudi, post: 802469, member: 1052”]That’s a smashing article, gola.

Nobody wants to go to United.[/quote]

Is he any good? Any youtube footage?

[quote=“Rudi, post: 802469, member: 1052”]That’s a smashing article, gola.

Nobody wants to go to United.[/quote]

Yeah it’s interesting alright. Who’s the most sought after player by other big European clubs ever to sign for an English club? Even shevchenko and ballack that time were possibly past their best.

I suppose what I’m trying to say is what ‘marquee players’ or star players have ever come to the EPL at the peak of their powers?

If English teams are going up against the Spanish, Italian and German sides on an even financial footing they will always lose out.

Only the Paddys and Africans would have England as their first choice and both are shit at football.

There have been a few but rare enough. I’d say Veron was up there with the best in the world when he signed for United-can’t think of too many more really. Would Silva, Aguero or Toure qualify? Maybe.

Toure was very much a second choice/squad player in his last season at Barca.

They had a free run at Veron though - none of the big Italian or Spanish teams went for him and Lazio’s financial crisis was beginning to come to the fore at that time.

Yes he’d be a big stretch alright-I think when you’re talking the very best players who would have every club in the world after them, EPL clubs will always lose out as who the fuck would want to live in Manchester if Barcelona, Madrid or Munich were also on offer. Chelsea are probably the best bet to land one of the superstars due to the attraction of London and being able to pay obscene salaries.

I’d say Silva and Aguero would be 2.

Torres as well.

I wouldn’t say a free run now-he was one off the most coveted players in the world at the time.

[quote=“farmerinthecity, post: 802521, member: 24”]I’d say Silva and Aguero would be 2.

Torres as well.[/quote]

No they wouldn’t. Silva and Aguero are a good level away from top bracket and Torres had a lot of question marks about him when Liverpool bought him.