The Barclays Premier League™ 2013/14

[quote=“farmerinthecity, post: 802521, member: 24”]I’d say Silva and Aguero would be 2.

Torres as well.[/quote]

Yes depends on what level you are talking about-if you are saying maybe top 30 or 40 players in the world, then there would have been quite a few over the years but when it comes to top 5 players in the world, I’d say it has never happened.

[quote=“Rudi, post: 802513, member: 1052”]If English teams are going up against the Spanish, Italian and German sides on an even financial footing they will always lose out.

Only the Paddys and Africans would have England as their first choice and both are shit at football.[/quote]

This is almost certainly true. The style or perceived style of football played and the weather would be contributing factors too.
All piss taking aside they’re actually doing well to be competing in Europe given this complete lack of the very best players. Especially given that their ‘home’ players ie English are obviously far inferior to Italian, Spanish and Germans too.

Na - you in the main talk shite about football so I shan’t be listening to you.

[quote=“farmerinthecity, post: 802521, member: 24”]I’d say Silva and Aguero would be 2.

Torres as well.[/quote]
I don’t think Silva was a marquee player really.

I don’t know. Highly rated player. Just won the World Cup with Spain to go with a Euros and was an integral part of both teams.

:rolleyes:

Aguero had won nothing of note in his career and was 23 - not an established world class player.

Torres was also 23 and another who had not won anything in his career - not an established world class player.

Silva was 24 and had won a World Cup and European Championship with Spain but he was a player was in and out of the team and certainly not one of their top 7/8 players at that time. Again - not an established world class player.

Continue on making a fool out of yourself and missing the point.

Aguero had won nothing of note in his career and was 23 - not an established world class player.

Torres was also 23 and another who had not won anything in his career - not an established world class player.

Silva was 24 and had won a World Cup and European Championship with Spain but he was a player was in and out of the team and certainly not one of their top 7/8 players at that time. Again - not an established world class player.

Continue on making a fool out of yourself and missing the point.[/quote]

I think we need a list of the current ‘established world class players who are also not slightly past their best’ here in case one of them moves to England in the next year or two.

History has proven England has been unable to attract them.

Continue on making a fool out of yourself and missing the point.[/quote]

Silva was highly thought of everywhere and Madrid were after him for a year beforehand. He went on to be one of the best players at Euro 2012. Again, it depends what we are talking about in relation to world class players or the very top 5 or 10.

Silva one of the best players at Euro 2012?

Give me strength.

[quote=“Rudi, post: 802552, member: 1052”]Silva one of the best players at Euro 2012?

Give me strength.[/quote]

:rolleyes: Started every game for Spain, scored a few including the final, got a few assists, named on the team of the tournament. Fuck off Totti.

I know I’m just wondering who you or others think they are now.
Messi, ronaldo, iniesta obviously. Who else? The likes of xavi and pirlo would be past their best.

Zlatan, De Rossi, Cavani, Falcao, Montolivo, Lewandowski, Reus, Chiellini, Thiago Silva, Schweinsteiger, Ribery, Gundogan.

:smiley:

Telegraph reporting Arsenal prepared to go to £40m for Suarez. Never ever gonna happen.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/10184058/Arsenal-ready-to-offer-40m-to-lure-Luis-Suarez.html

Drogba
Suarez
Asprilla
Klinsmann
Shevchenko
Ravanelli

How many “marquee” players have changed leagues at the height of their powers? Few enough I’d say.

Cristiano Ronaldo is the only one I can think of over the last few years.

Denis Berkgamp signing from Inter in 1995 was a big return on Arsenal’s £7.5 million investment.

Veron was at the height of his powers when he moved to utd.

[quote=“Sidney, post: 802703, member: 183”]Drogba
Suarez
Asprilla
Klinsmann
Shevchenko
Ravanelli

How many “marquee” players have changed leagues at the height of their powers? Few enough I’d say.

Cristiano Ronaldo is the only one I can think of over the last few years.[/quote]

stick to the stick hurling mate

berkgamp was shit in Italy

he couldnt do it in a decent league

he would never have been in the top 50 players in the world