The Cager Thread

Sigh. Without context percentages in a headline are clickbait.

what context are you looking for mate

We are in the very fortunate position to now have very low number of road deaths per capita. A single bad accident can skew a counties figure massively.

1 Like

31 killed to date this year

up 40% from 2021

Western People — Road deaths already surpass 2022 | Western People

the TFK’s 5o somethings such as @Ambrose_McNulty @TreatyStones @maurice_brown out of touch with modern life

Ok…loosen the chin strap a little perhaps

Maybe ye seen this before. I got a chuckle from it.

1 Like

Concern as road deaths soar by 26pc compared to same period last year

Stock image

Stock image

Ralph Riegel

February 21 2023 02:30 AM

Alarm has been expressed at a 26pc hike in road deaths – as the total number of traffic fatalities in one county over the past seven weeks exceeded its entire death toll for 2022.

A total of 30 people have died on Irish roads so far this year, seven more than for the same period last year.

That represents a 26pc hike on levels for 2022, a year which also had a 13pc surge in road deaths.

The latest fatality involved a collision between a car and a pedestrian at 6.30am on Sunday along the N84 at Carrowbrowne on the Headford Road.

Despite desperate efforts to assist the pedestrian, a man in his 30s, he was pronounced dead at the scene.

The driver of the car was uninjured but was treated at the scene for shock.

A total of 13 counties have now recorded fatal traffic collisions this year.

So far in 2023, seven people have died in traffic incidents in Galway alone.

That represents the highest death toll for any county nationwide.

Worryingly, the total number of deaths in Galway over the past seven weeks exceeds the entire death toll for all of 2022 in the county (six).

The 30 deaths nationwide involved 16 drivers, six passengers, six pedestrians, one e-scooter user and one motorcyclist.

Ireland’s January death toll on the roads is the highest for 12 years, since 21 people died in January 2011.

Both the gardaí and the Road Safety Authority (RSA) have urged road users to exercise greater care – and for motorists to slow down.

However, Parc road safety group official, Susan Gray, who lost her own husband in a traffic tragedy, said there were clear measures which, if enacted, would help reduce road deaths.

Parc wants to see greater investment in garda roads policing in terms of both personnel and equipment.

Garda roads policing personnel numbers have fallen by 5pc over just two years – at a time when road traffic fatality rates have again started to climb alarmingly.

In figures supplied to Social Democrats TD Catherine Murphy, it emerged that the number of gardaĂ­ assigned to dedicated roads policing has fallen by 5pc between 2020 and 2022.

Parc also wants learner permits to only be renewed if the motorist involved has actually sat their driving test.

Simply applying for the test should no longer qualify for a permit renewal.

Many learner drivers secure an extension of their permit by applying for a driving test only to then fail to show up for the assessment.

The Parc official also warned that it was “beyond belief” that drivers who are required to surrender their learner permits/licences to the RSA after disqualifications fail to do so and there have been no convictions for this offence – with many continuing to drive undetected.

“What kind of message does that send out? Are we serious about educating drivers about the importance of safety and complying with road regulations?” she asked.

Problems surround such “ghost drivers” who cannot be traced by the authorities because of a lack of sufficient data.

This is despite them having been disqualified in court for Road Traffic Act breaches.

Problems also surround “mismatches” whereby disqualifications are sometimes applied to the wrong drivers.

“You really couldn’t make this stuff up. The entire licensing system is a shambles,” Ms Gray said.

Jesus the traffic getting in and out of there would be unbearable.

You’d need to put a solid strategy in place for the day. Optimum approach routes (“nobody will be coming in the Cashel side”), parking location and “letting the traffic go” time (i.e., 2-4 pints) would all need to be considered. Even with all that, the inane scheduling of a car boot sale in Dundrum could make a clane mess of the whole thing.

5 Likes

There’d hardly be a boreen that only you and a couple of thousand others would know that you could snake through to get close?

1 Like

The proliferation of motorways in this country has taken away much of the adventure of big match days.

Jimmy Doyle Road was an absolute travesty. Ruined the experience for smug match day cagers.

Sure we were locked down 2021 and noone moving anywhere ffs sake

1 Like

It’s the silent but deadly killers (Electric Cars) that are probably doing all the damage I’d say. I’d imagine when Johnny Mid-Life Crisis is decked out in his spandex and talking to Greg about procurement issues at work while cycling 2 abreast in the middle of the fucking road then they don’t hear these machines coming behind them. If these muppets pulled in a bit off the road and people drove normal sounding cars rather than murderous dodgems, then the situation might improve a bit.

7 Likes

That’s brilliant.

Eamon Ryan, eats lettuce & is asleep all the time/ How does a party on 4% get to shape so much of Government policy

1 Like

I made a fairly benign comment a while back saying I don’t think people (myself included) realise the extent to which we as a population are going to have to shift away from cars. @Horsebox took the head off me then, I think he said I was pontificating or something like that.

Any mention of bike garages pal ?

These things are like great white sharks. You’d be casually walking through the petrol station forecourt to go in to get your 4 pack of Tuborg on a Friday night. You’d be simultaneously listening to John Creedon talking about Sham 69 or how Kent Station has a curved railway platform.

And before you know it you’ve been attacked from behind by a silent but deadly monster, and you look for your left leg and it’s gone.

The main difference between these silent monsters is the great white shark isn’t wearing a North Face gilet and a Salthill-Knocknacarra GAA beanie cap while speaking on a mobile phone, whereas the driver of the road shark is.

5 Likes