The Celtic Curse - TFK Haemochromotosis Sufferers and Carriers Thread

[QUOTE=ā€œElvis Brandenberg Kremmen, post: 996394, member: 1624ā€]Yes, but ruled out thankfully. I actually ticked a lot of the boxes as Iā€™m Diabetic and regularly suffer from abdominal pain, but thatā€™s mainly an unpleasant side-effect of diabetes medication.

It was actually the doctor treating my mother that initiated the process of my brothers and I being screened.[/QUOTE]

Proper order. I think it can skip generations as well so ye should get any kids etc checked. You have to wait until you are 18 to be checked for some reason. Maybe it doesnā€™t show up before that or some such.

Yeah, my eldest is 14 but luckily there are no underlying issues with my three other than two of them inheriting their motherā€™s bad eyesight!

Thatā€™s exactly what I thought it was

Iā€™m a carrier but donā€™t have the condition. My mammy has it.

Julio, are you allowed donate the blood now. I thought that they couldnā€™t use it for bureaucratic reasons but were trying to change this.

[QUOTE=ā€œcorner back, post: 996431, member: 1572ā€]Iā€™m a carrier but donā€™t have the condition. My mammy has it.

Julio, are you allowed donate the blood now. I thought that they couldnā€™t use it for bureaucratic reasons but were trying to change this.[/QUOTE]

They have a pilot project in place in Dublin that allows you to do it. But if you just go in anywhere and donā€™t tell them theyā€™ll take it away. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the blood, indeed its high ferritan content is good for patients recovering from surgery.

Its good for the blood supply, its free and you get free taytos. Everyone is a winner. Theyā€™ll get around to lifting the restriction eventually, itā€™s an awful waste as it is.

[QUOTE=ā€œcorner back, post: 996431, member: 1572ā€]Iā€™m a carrier but donā€™t have the condition. My mammy has it.

Julio, are you allowed donate the blood now. I thought that they couldnā€™t use it for bureaucratic reasons but were trying to change this.[/QUOTE]

Yes, you can donate it at the IBTS on Dā€™Olier street

Leeches?

Itā€™s a balls of a thing. Drinking completely exacerbates it. The smokes produce pure iron in your blood and the thing fucks up your lungs anyway. So far so predictable.
Then there is the counterintuitive stuff. Supplements drive the ferritin up as do Rubex and the like. I used to get up in the morning and make a load of fruit juice. I might as well have been poisoning myself. All that vitamin C only encourages the production of ferritin. Needless to say liver is a no no and then raw oysters are to be avoided as they can contain a virus that is fatal, but only to haemos.

@Julio Geordio[/USER] / [USER=706]@Fagan ODowd

Do you be tired after a venesection?

[QUOTE=ā€œFran, post: 996524, member: 110ā€]@Julio Geordio[/USER] / [USER=706]@Fagan ODowd

Do you be tired after a venesection?[/QUOTE]
One of the symptoms I have never had is tiredness, even after the vene. Iā€™m like the fucking Duracell bunny, which I suspect is one of the reasons the thing was never diagnosed. Iā€™d probably have been a contender for the Tour de France if I hadnā€™t had this cunt of a thing holding me back.

On the other hand I usually have a bit of a kip in the hospital bed when the lovely nurses are waiting for the results of the bloods to come up from the lab before the vene starts.

Fran, I think youā€™re body will get used to it. My mother nearly passed out after the first one or two, but was fine after that.

@Fran[/USER], [USER=332]@Julio Geordio Do they be a long time looking for a vein. I used to be in agony when theyā€™d put the needle in and the blood wouldnā€™t come and itā€™d be in and out and side to side and jaysus knows where else until theyā€™d finally draw the 500ml. But then the found a vein on the inside of my arm thatā€™s like old faithful. Fucking stuff gushes out so fast they can hardly control it.

Tip for you Fran as well is drink buckets of water the day before. Itā€™ll come out much easier.

Jaysus Iā€™ve often had doctors tell me to go easy on the pints due to liver readings in blood tests but I drink fuck all the last few years compared to my youth. And Iā€™m wrecked constantly the last few years. How is it diagnosed? And pronounced?

Hee mo kro mo toe sis

Ask the doc to test for it.

[QUOTE=ā€œFagan ODowd, post: 996547, member: 706ā€]Hee mo kro mo toe sis

Ask the doc to test for it.[/QUOTE]

Thanks fay gun

What the fuck is this?? Iā€™m shook here ā€¦ I tick a lot of these boxes ā€¦ Am I going to die?

[QUOTE=ā€œFagan ODowd, post: 996539, member: 706ā€]@Fran[/USER], [USER=332]@Julio Geordio Do they be a long time looking for a vein. I used to be in agony when theyā€™d put the needle in and the blood wouldnā€™t come and itā€™d be in and out and side to side and jaysus knows where else until theyā€™d finally draw the 500ml. But then the found a vein on the inside of my arm thatā€™s like old faithful. Fucking stuff gushes out so fast they can hardly control it.

Tip for you Fran as well is drink buckets of water the day before. Itā€™ll come out much easier.[/QUOTE]

:smiley:

In fairness I havenā€™t been too tired after it, expected to be worse.

They donā€™t usually have trouble finding veins and there is one in particular on each arm which is fairly prominent. In saying that the cunt chose a difficult vein yesterday and it was more uncomfortable than usual.

Sounds like you have it alright, all the signs point to yes

I donā€™t want to die, Fran. I have roo much to live forā€¦

Can someone give me an Anne & Barry version of what this is?