The Celtic Curse - TFK Haemochromotosis Sufferers and Carriers Thread

I would write a Will and speak to the people you hold dearest.

Most people can only absorb so much iron. the body stops absorbing it when it has sufficient stores.

This switch off mechanism doesn’t happen in people with haemachromatosis due to a genetic quirk which is especially prevalent in Ireland.

Iron not in use is stored in the body as ferritin. This ferritin builds up in organs like the liver can give the symptoms mentioned above by Fagan. Joint pain is also a significant symptom.

If this is caught early it is more or less harmless. They get your ferritin levels down to a low level by taking blood every week or two at the start and then monitor it so that the levels don’t rise too much. A lot of patients change their diets completely which is arguably unneccessary since you are going to have blood taken off anyway

Too much iron in your blood. If left untreated over time the iron can lodge on organs particularly the liver and cause cirrhosis and possibly tumours.

Signing out. Two uncles have it. The old man is a carrier but mam doesn’t have it so it’s possible I’m a carrier but not possible I have it, apparently.

Fucking bulletproof.

Last three readings.
4400, 3600, 3700. Have a heavy overload in the organs so the levels go all over the place until it comes off the organs. Very frustrating though. The lowest reading I got was 2700.

[QUOTE=“TreatyStones, post: 996370, member: 1786”]I have been suffering from fatigue and joint pains a lot lately. I put it down to old age and too much sport.
Also a few months back I ate a load of liver for breakfast and wasn’t right for a few days after it, I assume this was due to the amount of iron in the liver. I have a strong family history of this, so I am undertaking to get tested in the next couple of weeks.[/QUOTE]

do you also suffer from impotence?

:rolleyes:

?
it’s a symptom

Ask your auld wan

she said yes

1 Like

[QUOTE=“Fagan ODowd, post: 1000800, member: 706”]Last three readings.
4400, 3600, 3700. Have a heavy overload in the organs so the levels go all over the place until it comes off the organs. Very frustrating though. The lowest reading I got was 2700.[/QUOTE]

When were you diagnosed Fagan

a year ago

It must be very frustrating to have the readings go up after a section.

They rang me Wednesday last week to cancel my appointment because my Ferritin level was down to 83. I said that’s impossible as it was 3600 a couple of weeks previously. After a bit of a panic and some rustling in the background they agreed that it was best that I go ahead with it! They never explained the discrepancy nor apologised. Sometimes you’d have to wonder what the fuck else they get wrong

He also gave me a nice bruise on the arm that’s still there a week later [ATTACH=full]1615[/ATTACH]

[QUOTE=“Fran, post: 1001045, member: 110”]It must be very frustrating to have the readings go up after a section.

They rang me Wednesday last week to cancel my appointment because my Ferritin level was down to 83. I said that’s impossible as it was 3600 a couple of weeks previously. After a bit of a panic and some rustling in the background they agreed that it was best that I go ahead with it! They never explained the discrepancy nor apologised. Sometimes you’d have to wonder what the fuck else they get wrong[/QUOTE]
They got you mixed up with someone else

Going to get tested for this today. :popcorn:

:popcorn:

Drink a shitload of Guinness this weekend just in case.

What symptoms do you have?

Rusting?

Job done.
Now we play the waiting game.

[QUOTE=“TreatyStones, post: 1002981, member: 1786”]Job done.
Now we play the waiting game.[/QUOTE]

The waiting game sucks, lets play Hungry Hungry Hippos