The Cost of Living 📈

Don’t worry, I guarantee you the energy providers won’t be out of pocket.

2 Likes

It’s astonishing they aren’t under more pressure to bring down the unit price.

1 Like

I went it to Woodies and got two bags of the salt and it was over 40 quid. I said they cost 20 the last time I got them and she said oh they haven’t been that price in a long long time. She had me doubting myself. People just pay up. The Govt’s answer is to subsidise.

I dropped the little one off to creche this morning. The difference in the type of cars the staff and parents drive is stark. I know my job is absolutely meaningless compared to what childcare workers do but yet I get far more money than them.

6 Likes

Greedflation.

Is a legislative change required to decouple it from the price of gas? It’s such a no-brainer you’d have thought they’d be lining up to take credit for starting that process

I don’t know.

The large increases in unit prices occurred in October which was about 6 months after the first spikes in gas prices. Gas prices have been back at lower levels (albeit historically higher) since January so you’d have to assume prices will come down some time around June.

How many KWh per day are people getting through with air to water systems? My overall consumption in March was about 40kwh per day.

1 Like

I caught a bit of Charlie Weston on with Matt Cooper yesterday, he was saying we’ve the highest unit price for energy in Europe now. He referred to the gas linkage but didn’t say whose job it was to change to pricing model. Apart from it not being the Energy Regulator’s gig

The gas linkage is an EU thing I think. Talks underway to decouple but they can’t agree a formula yet.

There was an energy economist on with Pat Kenny a little while ago and she said the research into why we’re so much higher is due to lots of factors, the biggest ones being we’re an island, we’re too reliant on gas, and dispersed population (rural types with big islands screwing us all yet again).

1 Like

Dublin is subsidising the rest of the country’s energy costs. We’re happy to do so. What do we get in return - chape shots at our GAA teams.

3 Likes

Urban over-reliance on gas is at fault

1 Like

Half of our electricity comes from gas.

@Raylan googling away to make a point - sigh

The because the rural types are burning turf and tyres and what have you in their ranges, unfortunately.

We’ve enough wind to powe half the globe we’d probably be grand for energy if we bothered to collect some of it. In ten years time or so we should have the cheapest energy in Europe.

1 Like

There’s an argument we’re too small to have multiple energy providers. Competition law and EU requirements for competition don’t result in lower consumer prices a lot of the time but multiple companies with all their costs buying the same product and having to cover those costs in higher prices.

If you have just semi state electric Ireland and Bord gas in market I think most people would be better off.

You also have semi states bidding against each other to buy wind farms. Madness. C

2 Likes

wtf? not only is Mr Ryan reshaping public transport for the better, 800k homes will be working off renewable energy by 2030

The Minister for the Environment, Climate and Communications, Eamon Ryan, has welcomed Cabinet approval for plans to accelerate the delivery of 5GW of offshore wind by 2030. This will deliver a secure, sustainable, and cost-effective supply of indigenous energy for future generations, while unlocking green energy export opportunities.

A superb development of the verb. I’m vibing off it!

5 Likes

Climate nazis upset by hard data, who’d have thought? Do carry on with your anecdotal evidence though

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2023/0502/1380365-energy-cloud-enterprise/

Great initiative although it suggests energy companies have been gouging on night time rates

Who are the best for electricity and gas now with a smart metre?

Electric Ireland are least cunty of the lot

1 Like