The Daily Debate 25-03-2020 - Limerick v Waterford v Cork

:grinning::grinning:. They’ve been scared out of shite by Cork in finals ever since Christy Ring “did” your man Mick Burke.

1 Like

They had a posse out looking for Ringy the day after

It’s hard to say they left any AIs behind them when we constantly failed to make the final.
2002 was probably our best chance as we were after winning Munster and were playing well. Never clicked in the semi final v Clare.

Leaving an AI behind, for me would be 94. A team winning by a few points with time running down and then the getting caught rotten at the end.

They started well and looked like they were going to blow Clare away in the first 20 minutes with Eoin Kelly on fire. Alan Markham rattles a goal against the run of play and Waterford wilted and from being six point up after 20 odd minutes ended up going in trailing at half time and the Clare backs took over

We did click though. We wiped the floor with Clare for 20 minutes. Then we missed a couple of goal chances and we tied up completely after that.

That Waterford team often started well and didn’t see out games. Did the same v Limerick in Munster the year before.
Blazed into a big lead and went totally flat after that. Allowed Limerick to totally take over in that game.
That defeat was a real sicker at the time. I didn’t think we would ever get over the hump in Munster.

There was no bigger winning margin in an All Ireland hurling final in the 1990’s than the 6 points Offaly beat Limerick by in 1994. All that Limerick huffing and puffing for 65 minutes, only for Offaly to have to hurl for 5 minutes to beat them out the gate.

1 Like

Pretty sure the Markham goal was the result of another Queally miscontrol. Queally had the heart of a lion but was too limited a hurler to be let anywhere near the backs.

Maybe I am being harsh on us so. I thought we were ok without ever making it count. Clare got to grips with us and totally strangled us up front there after.

As much as Carey was a great hurler, no contest Ken McGrath better

1 Like

Should be a good listen.

Ah no, there’s definitely a contest, in fact I’d probably give the nod to Carey very slightly

Carey at his peak was possibly the best hurler of the 1990s. Possibly not the best Carey of the 1990s though.

Someone should stuck to US politics and trump ,

A half decent debate might be who was better between the Offaly team of the 90s and the Waterford team of the 2000s. Offaly obviously get the nod as they won their two A/Is but both sides were relatively similar in make up and style of hurling with some very skillful/enigmatic forwards and both probably carried a few lads/lacked a bench. Offaly took their breaks in 94 and 98 to win their two A/Is while Waterford simply couldn’t bridge the gap. The offaly team had a few lads who enjoyed the pour as well.

If Waterford had a Martin Hanamy or Kevin Kinihan in their team they may well have gotten over the line.

1 Like

Always a contest when you mention Carey against anyone. The man was an animal

I chose my words poorly. Carey was unreal. The point in 1995 v clare ( the epicness, greatness of that score) says it all

It is just I rate Ken even better

I didnt have the heart to do it

1 Like

I was tempted to call for a ban.