The English Premier League 2016/17™

Ian Harte esque

Alonso is very good at getting into positions to score. Could’ve had quite a lot of goals this season

The wall was farcical… Looking at it sailing over their heads

I cant bare to a watch an EPL game this time of year.

When the ground is hard and you’ve the long evenings you should be out on the field pucking around.

the hurling wall

So you’re essentially saying, you’re ignoring the history making success that Souness was such an integral part of at Sampdoria and condemning him as having failed in Italy on the back of a four month stretch at Torino?

Success?

Sampdoria entered the best period of the club’s history directly after Souness left.

1 Like

Souness scored the crucial goal away at the San Siro in the Coppa Italia Final of 1985 to guide Sampdoria to their first top level silverware in their history and yet you condemn him as having failed in Italy. Bizarre logic.

Souness was just past his best when he went to Italy . Two years later he went to Scotland so there is a clear line of regression from 1984.

Souness left and Sampdoria went on appear in Champions League finals, win Serie A, win their first European honours. That is fact.

Bizarre and Irrelevant facts. That Serie A win was 5 years after Souness left. The European Cup final defeat was 6 years after Souness left.

You’re up to your old trick of moving the goalposts when you’ve been caught out or pulled up on your poor grasp of facts. I’ll ask the question again that you are refusing to answer - Are you ignoring the history making success that Souness was such an integral part of at Sampdoria and condemning him as having failed in Italy on the back of a four month stretch at Torino?

2 Likes

Sampdoria’s success only really began to come to fruition after Souness left. They improved after he left and he failed as a manager in Italy.

Hard facts.

Sampdoria’s ground breaking first success occurred with Souness in tow and Souness scored the crucial goal in that Cup final - a win that saw Sampdoria secure European football for the first time in their history. Sampdoria also finished 4th in Serie in 1984/85, their second highest ever league finish at that point in time. Hard facts. Sampdoria’s further success was a long way removed from the time Souness spent there. They finished 5th, 5th, 4th and 6th in the four seasons that preceded their lone Serie A win in 1990/91.

Bizarre that you condemn Souness as having failed in Italy on the basis of a four month stretch at Torino and you ignore and refuse to give any credit for his achievements at Sampdoria. Were you aware that he had ever played for Sampdoria before I drew it to your attention earlier?

1 Like

Bizarre you want to ignore the success Sampdoria had post Souness. In the five seasons post Souness they won 3 Coppa Italias, a Serie A, a Cup Winners Cup and appeared in another Cup Winners Cup final and European Cup final.

In considering the merits of Graeme Souness in Italy, I’m focusing on time in which Souness was actually in Italy. You’re essentially now arguing that a period that Souness wasn’t even in Italy 1986-91 backs up your proposition that Souness failed in Italy. After his ground breaking success with Sampdoria in 1985, Souness was in Scotland from 1986-91 reviving the fortunes of Glasgow Rangers and winning four league titles with Glasgow Rangers.

Applying your latest truly bizarre logic, you’ll be telling us next that Colm Cooper was to blame for Kerry going 11 years without winning an All Ireland from 1986 to 1997.

Yes and the fact that when he left that the team he had the proclaimed success you laud him with, subsequently went on to bigger and better things with more or less the same group of players is not a great barometer on Souness and his spell in Italy.

Torino also improved after Souness left, they were back in Serie A within a couple of years despite Souness having them on the verge of Serie C football.

You ignored my earlier question on Paul Clement, btw.

You’re rabbiting on about Sampdoria success that was 5 and 6 years removed from the time Souness spent there and refusing to answer my question. I’ll ask the question yet again - Are you saying Souness failed in Italy solely on the basis of a four month spell at Torino or are you also saying that Souness failed at Sampdoria?

I’m saying Souness failed in Italy, yes.

Did he not win silverware with them?

I’m asking you - are you saying Souness failed at Sampdoria.

No he left them them a few points above the relegation zone and Serie C becoming a distinct possibility.