The English Premier League 2016/17™

Hull lose 0-2 at home to already relegated Sunderland and Swansea capitalise to beat Everton 1-0 and move out of the relegation places. What a magnificent job Paul Clement has done.

Burnley secured a point at home against 8th place West Bromwich Albion today to reach the crucial 40 point mark. Burnley will be playing in the top flight again next season and have survived a season in the top flight for the first time since 1974/75. What a marvelous job Sean Dyche has done.

1 Like

It could be a decisive day in the battle against the drop alright. I’ll be monitoring things over the next number of days and I’ll be removing my backing for Hull if they lose their next game and Swansea eek out another victory themselves.

2 Likes

Leicester City secured their survival today with a win over Watford. That’s 22 points out of 30 amassed by Craig Shakespeare in just 10 league games at the helm. Claudio Ranieri amassed 21 points in the first 25 games of the season prior to his dismissal. Ranieri is one of life’s gentleman but the footballing decision of Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha to fire Ranieri and appoint Shakespeare has been fully justified.

1 Like

A pity you didn’t have the conviction or courage to speak out a few weeks ago.

Did you miss my post on Sean Dyche on 23 April?

Or my post on Paul Clement on 9 April?

Or my post on Craig Shakespeare on 9 April?

2 Likes

Everton on the beach ?

Spurs need to keep their excellent young players…tell the vultures to fuck off and go again next year.

2 Likes

Its going to be easier said than done. The two Manchesters and the Big Two in Spain (in the cases of Bamidele and Eriksen) are already hovering and preparing to swoop. When these elite super franchises are prepared to offer two and three times the wages that Spurs are paying them, its problematic. Kyle Walker and Toby Alderweireld heads have already been turned in a major way - Walker was beyond awful last night and Alderwiereld below par too. Matching these wage demands not going to be easy with a new stadium to finance next season as well.

Levy needs to hold on to those lads…pay them the market wage…find another striker to compliment Kane…and go all out next year.

Money should’nt be an issue with the extra seats.

Spurs will have to let either Alli or Kane go. Their attack lacks real pace .

Kyle Walker will leave. He’s fallen out with Pochettino as well. Crucial to hold onto Alderwiereld though. He’s the best central defender in the league. A new striker as you’ve correctly identified is an imperative. Harry Kane (notwithstanding his 21 league goals) has had a fairly mixed season. He’s been a long way off the level he was at previous two seasons. Two long injury lay offs probably the main reason for that.

1 Like

Agree with that…Spurs have a ready replacement for Walker at least if he does move on…talk of 50 million…

Keeping Ali, Dier, Kane etc while fit and the rest can only be achieved though by the board paying them what they would earn in Manchester or Chelsea.

Spurs should do that.

A new striker is vital and let Ali back to midfield

1 Like

Who’s after Eriksen?

If Walker wants off then he’s not a massive loss provided the Fee is right.

Keeping Toby is key, pay him whatever it takes.

Alli is the kicker, if Madrid come calling he will be off. Can’t see Man Utd stumping up enough or playing under Jose a draw.
If Chelsea lose Hazard to Spain then Chelsea will probably stump up enough to get him though.

Can’t see Kane leaving, seems very happy in his role at the club and a generally well grounded chap.

2 Likes

Rumour is Barca want Eriksen

He’s decent but I wouldn’t rate him as World Class. Spurs is about his level.

Keeping Toby is key, agreed.

It’s all about the boards ambition now.

Lot of Spurs fans that I’d talk to reckon he was their best player this season.

The board have clearly shown their long term ambition with the New Stadium.

Paying for it over the next 10 years is a different matter so it’s inevitable they will lose star players. How Poch spends that income is key although I doubt very much he’ll still be at the club beyond next season.