The Folk Music Thread

John’s voice is a tad on the 40 major a day side…

This is a lovely effort from Taylor returning to her roots

2 Likes

Much more typical of Taylor’s more recent stuff than her country roots

She’s a great artist

Caught a small bit Creedon tonight coming back from Carrigaline… He was playing a few Ewan MacColl songs. Played this version of the moving on song by Norma Waterson (gets going 30 seconds in)

Here’s Ewan with Peggy Seeger - Will ye no come back again…

2 Likes
1 Like

@Turenne

The above reminded me that i went down a rabbit hole of old blues and folk and found some great docs on YouTube made by Alan Lomax. They are part historical part sociological… The Appalachian and Cajuns ones really look at how the music and customs of the old world clung on in rural US. The blues one… Well there’s no explanation needed there…

Well worth a watch @flattythehurdler @Fagan_ODowd @glenshane … Real people, real music.

(Appalachian Journey)

(Cajun Journey)

(Land where blues began)

3 Likes

Did you ever see the ‘Bringing it all back home’ documentary series from around 1990, that was a great show at the time

I was only 10…

1 Like

Was that the one produced by Cork’s Philip King?

1 Like

I don’t recall any other series of that name based around folk music, so I suppose it must have been.

Corks Philip King was a fine musician and a fine presenter. Scullion were a fine band.

Aye, I was in a blues club recently in Chicago. Very fond of the blues I am.

I was in Buddy Guy’s over a couple of times… Brought a young lady on a date there so i did…

Great spot if you get a blues legend on the night. I got this guy. It was magic.

1 Like

Presents the South wind blows on RTE 1

Yeah remember them. Did he have a radio show on RTE on Saturday or Sunday night?

You answered my queston

Is it about a bunch of refugees who arrive in cork with all their gear but then have to bring it all back home again?