The GAA Infrastructure Thread

That list of the supposed dimensions of different GAA pitches was made up by a poster on AFR in 2004 yet has been referenced ever since as the definitive last word in all newspaper articles and online discussions related to the topic.

Doesn’t say much for the standard of GAA writing and discussion.

2 Likes

I found it amusing to see it finally go ‘mainstream’

Looks like Casement Park has finally got the go ahead this morning.

There’d be uproar if they moved the Ulster Final away from Clones.

I’m all for them have the All-Ireland hurling quarters here to pay for the project.

Fuck Cork.

2 Likes

If they don’t play the Ulster final in Casement then when would it be full?

It’ll basically be a very expensive concert venue

1 Like

I didn’t understand the logic, so I’d imagine thats what they’re planning and they’ll ignore the uproar.

The new fixtures calendar will help if utvdies happen. Dragging everyone to Belfast in marching season would have been a shit storm.

Won’t it be a multi sport stadium?

I don’t think so. The Nordies would rather never kick a ball again than play soccer ball in Casement. It was part of a something for everyone deal.

The redevelopment of Casement Park is part of a sports investment plan which began a decade ago, including upgrades to the Ulster Rugby ground at Ravenhill and Windsor Park football stadium.

You are desperately hoping Kerry and Dublin meet to save the football championship.

Depending on results the hurling championship could be over on Sunday.

The June bank holiday and the inter county season is nearly done.

That’s some serious infrastructure.

Presumably you want the hurling to go back to the old format, which is the football format, which you also don’t like.

You are desperately trying to find an issue with it. Relax.

3 Likes

Four provincial finals on last weekend and barely twenty minutes of football. You think that’s good?

Derry won their first Ulster since 98. A huge breakthrough.

Limerick were never going to get close to Kerry.

Kildare are a shower of bottlers.

Galway beat Roscommon, but what was it three points in the end? Although Galway should be more comfortable.

Munster and Leinster championships are very poor. The other two are fine. It’s all cyclical.

People have misty eyed remembrances of a golden era of football, which was Kerry hopping the shit out of everyone for a decade, if they didn’t the Dubs would and the Nordies & Westies were stone useless.

This is the most open football championship in years.

In hurling Limerick will slip back to the pack in a few years, maybe even this year. Then it will be wide open again

5 Likes

I’ve never been in Casement Park but my general impression of Ulster opinion over the years is that it has never been a popular venue for matches.

The whole thing smacks of massive white elephant.

The stadium actually wasn’t too bad as it was, it had been heavily upgraded in the late 1990s and regularly held Ulster semi-finals.

Why was it let fall into such disrepair? They just gave up on it?

They had lights installed about two years before abandoning it.

The were supposed to build a multipurpose stadium I think but they couldn’t agree on the day of the week sure. So everyone got some money instead. It’s a bit unnessecary I think. But then who are we to deny the Nordies an unnecessarily large GAA ground and the Republic full of them

1 Like

The redevelopment was supposed to happen well over a decade ago. I suppose they stopped spending waiting for it to happen, and then it never really made sense to spend again knowing they were tearing it down eventually and it just went on like that

Casement Park wasn’t in disrepair though, it was grand as it was. Only redeveloped for 1999, three sides of the ground were concreted having previously been grass banks. The main stand was of the “venerable” variety but sure what harm.

The last match there was what, 2012?

They decided to shut the thing, presumably to force the hand of the NI executive. They could easily have been playing games in it for the last decade.

There was a big idea for a multi-sport stadium on the site of Long Kesh. File under “Nordie Bertie Bowl”.

You would have been fairly lost if you managed to get caught up in an OO march on your way to Casement.
There will be a lot of gnashing of teeth about no Ulster final in Clones but the reality is many of the pubs in the town have closed, the stadium is in a poor state, and the traffic on Sunday was supposed to be the worst ever seen there with massive problems leaving the place.

To reiterate this.
There have been 134 all ireland finals. So 268 AI Finalists.
Kerry and Dublin have been finalists 103 times between them. So basically 40% of all finalists are Kerry and Dublin.
Add in Cork and Galway and you have 55% from 4 teams.
Add in Meath, Cavan and Mayo the only other teams in double digits in terms of appearances and you have 193/264. Or 73% of all Ireland Finalists from 7 teams.
Football has always only had a few teams who could win it.

3 Likes