The GAA Infrastructure Thread

The Ulster Secretary made a great point last year though that 22 out of 32 counties had won provincial football championships in the previous 30 years (which isnt a long time really).

2 Likes

Plenty of smaller marches hapoening at multiple locations between Donegal and Belfast no matter which way you head up.

It’s more competitive than it’s ever been. There are just some teams in the competition who aren’t very good so hammerings will happen.

Kildare and Meath have slipped back in Leinster. They’ve no excuses. They’ll close the gap again eventually.

Cork will come back at some stage too.

That’s all that’s wrong with it vs previous years really, of the 6-8 decent teams, two are on their own in Leinster and Munster.

Doesn’t mean the format is good mind, it’s just always been shit.

1 Like

But sure that would be the case for games across the province. At least most people would be using the main roads going to Belfast rather than having to drive through places like Portadown and Lisnaskea heading for Clones.

11 different winners though in the last 10 years I reckon, and that is with just the 1 winner in Leinster where the main problem is.

I’ve never seen much of an issue and we’ve gone the three different routes from here to Clones.

I only reckon the marches might be an issue as thatsthe argument I’ve always heard from Donegal GAA head in relation to it.

Either way it’s a pointless matter now with the date shifted to May.

1 Like

It’s actually 23, Louth being the rightful Champions of the Leinster Senior Football Championship in 2010.

3 Likes

Casement Park gets the green light again… Be no change out of €200m if it ever goes ahead.
All credit to the Gaels of Antrim but for me the location is unsuitable. Clones is a more natural venue.

2 Likes

The Ulster football final and clones are symbiotes.
Separating them would be like what the church were at in the amber spyglass.

Had a look there, Wexford are the 7th most successful team in Gaelic football :clap:

1 Like

Well that’s another point worth making.

Only 19 teams have ever won it.
8 of them could be considered prehistoric ie haven’t won it since the 1950’s (inc Limerick, Tipp, Kildare Wexford who are all well before 1950 even).
Offaly the odd ones out, the only team who won in the period 1960-1990 and haven’t won one since.

In Summary, in the 65 years since Louth won it in 1957.
Just 11 different teams have won the football all Ireland.
Since 1990. 10 different teams have won it.
Since 2000. 7 of those have won it.
Since 2010. 5 winners.

A closed shop. Always has been.

To an extent. The introduction of the qualifiers in 2000 lead to a rapid improvement in some of the traditionally smaller counties.

Over time this resulted in the likes of Kerry and Dublin, particularly the latter, serious increasing their investment in developing sides, by my reckoning.

The smaller counties are unable to match this and the GAA seem to think that limiting the amount of games the weaker counties have against the top tier will lead to more interest and a more level playing field.

If only they’d try to limit the amount spent on team prep etc. The horse has bolted on this now though.

19 counties out of 31 (exclude kilkenny) means over 60% of counties have won an all ireland football. That’s better than I’d thought it would be to be honest

1 Like

Your reckoning is seriously flawed

How so?

Dublin didn’t increase their investment

You’re telling me that the amount Dublin invested in preparation of teams and underage development, with funds generated from sponsorship and also from the GAA itself, didn’t increase between 2001 to the present day?

1 Like

It’s the word their that’s misleading and false there.

Also the government gave them a few million of tax payers money as a helping hand. It’s the reason they won. Try to keep up.

Is the money not allocatted to the Dublin Co Board or do they not apply for it directly?

Additionally there’s the massive sponsorship money they bring in.

It is disproportionately given to them to make them competitive cos…rugby and soccer or something…

Success from the financial doping helps generate big sponsorship deals. AIG aren’t associating with a losing brand.